Princeton Review vs Kaplan and Online vs In Class Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpw06c

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non traditional student looking to study this summer for the MCAT and take the test in August. I wanted to take a course but am not sure which one is best. I am currently thinking of taking the classroom princeton review course, but am tempted by the difference in price between that and some of the other online courses offered. I have taken the mcat before and scored a 26S and really need to get my score up to at least a 30. What would you recommend? Any successes or advice with any specific MCAT courses? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The system that'll work best for you will really depend upon your summer schedule and how much you're looking to spend.

I wish I knew more about Princeton's program, but I'm somewhat naive there. I'm a fan of EK's summer schedule; twice a week, in the evenings... still lets you have something of a summer.

As far as online is concerned, there's a lot of great resources. If you're looking to supplement your classroom course with something online, you can look at J Co Review. I found out about it on an SDN thread and have very satisfied. But of course, explore all your options and decide what's best for you.

I took the in-class Kaplan course. I started in the end of May and took my MCAT at the beginning of August. When I took the diagnostic that they give at the beginning of the course, I scored a 24. On my actual MCAT, I ended up scoring a 36Q. Personally, the Kaplan class was a huge help. More than the strategies or anything, the resources were the most helpful part. I honestly didn't pay too much attention to the strategies. However, I wouldn't have been able to organize my studying as well as the class allowed me to. The most helpful things for me were the practice tests (I took 12 over that ~2.5 month period). I had another friend who took Kaplan for roughly the same amount of time, and saw her score from diagnostic to MCAT go from 24 to 30 (granted, she only took 4 practice tests).

As far as the in-class vs. out of class, I think that depends solely on your learning style. I don't know what the classroom sessions are like for Princeton Review or any others, but Kaplan (in my opinion) weren't overly helpful to me. If you learn well in a classroom, however, I would highly recommend them. I just study best through reading the book and doing practice problems. I honestly quit going to the class by about 2/3rds of the way through. Also, the online resources have a lecture from a Kaplan teacher as well. (I guess the only thing you lose by not taking the class is the ability to ask the teacher to clarify confusing concepts).

I hope all of that helps you make a decision!

Yes, I love Kaplan too. God was good to me that I got it as a gift from a person who might as well have been an angel, for real. Anyway, Kaplan is amazing! Their computer interface, their section tests, topical test (not including 19 Practice tests), are exhaustive. Can you do well without it? Of course, many people on SDN have shown you can. But if you need help like I did and a course to guide you through, then by all means Kaplan is amazing.

Also, the teachers are a very, very valuable resource--more so than the classes! That's right. I said it. The classes are actually also online as "lesson on demands" so you have your virtual teacher to teach you every class that you could attend "live". However, the best thing about the Kaplan live class is that your teacher is basically also a free tutor! I mean, of course, they won't sit with you for hours on a subject (although Kaplan offers that too) but you can e-mail them questions, stay after class, etc.

My teacher has sends me "page-length" answers sometimes to questions--really amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses, I decided I really want to go for an in class course. I also am looking into Examkrackers. I think part of my problem I have had is knowing how to answer the questions, like choosing the "best" answer over other seemingly acceptable answers and learning how to recognize that. Has anyone had success with learning how to do that in any of the courses? Thanks!

TPR Verbal Reasoning and Writing Review is not the book you want for passages. As far as TPR verbal is concerned, you want:

TRPH Verbal Workbook (71 psgs)
TPRH In-Class Compendium (31 psgs)

TPR Verbal Reasoning and Writing Review is not the book you want for passages. As far as TPR verbal is concerned, you want:

TRPH Verbal Workbook (71 psgs)
TPRH In-Class Compendium (31 psgs)

Thanks...i'm using EK101 but i wanted alternative VR book for more practice.. is the Berkeley book for VR as good as the TRPH

I am a non traditional student looking to study this summer for the MCAT and take the test in August. I wanted to take a course but am not sure which one is best. I am currently thinking of taking the classroom princeton review course, but am tempted by the difference in price between that and some of the other online courses offered. I have taken the mcat before and scored a 26S and really need to get my score up to at least a 30. What would you recommend? Any successes or advice with any specific MCAT courses? Thanks!
I took the Princeton Review Hyperlearning and scored lower on the MCAT than I did when I took it without a prep course. The Verbal Instructor was terrible and I scored 3 points lower on the MCAT in Verbal using their techniques. I tried to go with Kaplan, they didn't have enough students enroll and they cancelled the course so I had no choice but to take Princeton.

Their Money Back Guarantee is a complete LIE. I filed for a refund and they refuse to return my calls and emails.