Princeton verbal vs. EK 101?which one is harder??anybody feeling the same pain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Up to now I was only doing the EK 101 till yesterday, I started princeton verbal, it was so much harder than EK..I mean EK passages were so easy to understand and the questions off course needed some reasoning, however Princeton passages were much harder to understand and their questions were harder??? it was so upsetting to do TPR passages.

You guys feel that TPR passages were much harder??

Also does anybody know which one is closer to the real thing?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think the consensus is that TPR VR is harder/more ambiguous than the real thing. People have consistently said that EK 101, aside from the AAMCs, is most indicative of the real MCAT VR. I guess it's up to you to decide if the TPR materials are a worthy practice tool, but I personally probably wouldn't bother with them unless I ran out of EK to do.

Really? I've found the polar opposite to be true. After a while I really get a sense of what TPR verbal passages are looking for. And typically what they're looking for is the most literal answer/answer in the passage. Whereas EK, while I also get a sense of what they're looking for, it seems like what they're looking for is a lot more abstract. Also, the right EK answer choice is sometimes worded in very strong language, which TPR never does, and claims will not occur on the actual MCAT.

Also, TPR passages are just easier to read, compared to EK passages. I've never taken a real MCAT though so have no clue about which is closer to the real deal.

Over the past 10 or so passages I've done, I've personally done considerably better with EK101 than on TPR Verbal Workbook.

Are you using the TPR Verbal Workbook that you get from being enrolled in their course, or are you using their other material?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken the real thing twice (the second time on 1/25 this year... 5 more days until scores come out!!!)

I'm a huge fan of EK 101 VR and agree with a previous poster that it's the most similar to the real thing. However I have to disagree that TPR VR is harder, the book I used "TPR Hyperlearning MCAT - verbal workbook" (got it from a friend who took TPR classroom course) was way to easy for the real thing. passage-wise. The passages weren't long enough and too obvious of questions... Am I looking at the wrong thing to say that TPR was too easy???

Either way EK 101 rocks, stick to it.:thumbup:

If I had the time, I would just go ahead and do passages from both TPR and EK. More practice can only help, right? :)

Over the past 10 or so passages I've done, I've personally done considerably better with EK101 than on TPR Verbal Workbook.

Are you using the TPR Verbal Workbook that you get from being enrolled in their course, or are you using their other material?

I was using the practice passages they have online, for me they are not easy to understand. on the other hand, EK uses topics that are easier to understand but the questions involve more reasoning compared to TPR. I guess I got used to the EK passages since I', almost done with the whole thing.
Have you guys taken any of the TPR full lennth practice test cause the verbal passages on those are harder than EK???

Thanks everyone for replying..

I was using the practice passages they have online, for me they are not easy to understand. on the other hand, EK uses topics that are easier to understand but the questions involve more reasoning compared to TPR. I guess I got used to the EK passages since I', almost done with the whole thing.
Have you guys taken any of the TPR full lennth practice test cause the verbal passages on those are harder than EK???

Thanks everyone for replying..
I think I've had more problems with TPR online passages than in the workbook. Either way, I hate verbal.

If I use EK's raw score conversion chart, here are how my scores compare:

Last 10 or so EK: 10/11
Last 10 or so TPR: 8/9

I haven't taken TPR full length practice test as of yet.