Princeton Vs. Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DigitalAres

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the newest editions of both books, which one of these two do you think stands out for you as the best textbook for getting a good score in the MCAT? I got a 9 in PS and 11 in BS for the one I did last August and I'm going to take another one soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Princeton is by far more effective, however any course is going to be about what you put into it. That being said the Kaplan course is lacking in many regards and I highly don't recommend it.

TPR Hyperlearning books are better than the Kaplan books. Although I have a friend who scored a 37 using Kaplan, so it's not like it's impossible to do well if you want to use the Kaplan prep books.

Yea well the Physical Sciences were very hard and nothing like the ones in Kaplan, that whatt really frustrated me especially that I'm good at this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea well the Physical Sciences were very hard and nothing like the ones in Kaplan, that whatt really frustrated me especially that I'm good at this!

Kaplan material should prepare you well, although the practice books are useless. What practice did you use from them?

TPRH is far better, but make sure to pick up the workbooks for passages. No set of content review books will amount to much without plenty of practice.

Personally, I wouldnt even use Kaplan books in my outhouse. I had a very dissatifying experience with their prep course and books. Feel free to PM me.

Cant say much for TPR.

Kaplans books obviously aren't what you should use.

However, I strongly believe that if you utilize their online resources to exhaustion and give 100% effort to them, then you have no excuse to not score at least a 30. They're that good.

However, I strongly believe that if you utilize their online resources to exhaustion and give 100% effort to them, then you have no excuse to not score at least a 30. They're that good.

what online resources?

I agree 100%. too bad they are so underrated on SDN.

Except for verbal, right?

Someone please explain to me why the Princeton books are so superior to Kaplan? I've compared chapters side by side and I just don't see it. Yet, I read the PR>Kaplan content comment over and over on SDN. I earnestly want to know what you think is the huge difference because from my viewpoint they're extremely similar.

PR explains the concepts more in-depth.

I have PR and Kaplan. And I have read the entire PR set. The only thing I read from Kaplan is the physiology sections ( after I have read PR physiology sections).

IMO, I feel like Kaplan is written on a simpler level than PR. Like a high school student with very little knowledge can read through Kaplan material BUT the thing is the MCAT is NOT written at a high school level ( the basic of the topics covered maybe) .The way the MCAT is worded is more similar to PR than to Kaplan.

PR reading enhance critical thinking which is a BIG part of the MCAT.

Someone please explain to me why the Princeton books are so superior to Kaplan? I've compared chapters side by side and I just don't see it. Yet, I read the PR>Kaplan content comment over and over on SDN. I earnestly want to know what you think is the huge difference because from my viewpoint they're extremely similar.

It seems as if Kaplan was trying to find a balance between EK and TBR. Some concepts they were extremely brief on, while others are unnecessarily too detailed. This inconsistency made it hard to follow some times.

But again, their online sources are A+ with exception to VR. I didn't care for their verbal stuff, but know others that have done well with it.