Principle of Biology = Cell & Molecular Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannabePharm88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I start off, there is a same thread about this question, but I just want to make this clear.

I went to two differen school CC in California - same disctrict, of course.

One school's Bio course's description was

"Description: This is the first semester of a three-semester sequence in general biology designed for biology majors. It is an introduction to many aspects of living cells, with an emphasis on the molecular level of organization. Topics include an introduction to biological molecules, enzymes, cell structure, respiration, photosynthesis, reproduction, genetics and an introduction to statistical analysis. The course also covers molecular genetics, structure and function of viruses, DNA technology and genetic engineering techniques."

Which IS Cell and Molecular Biology

The other school's description was

"Description: This course introduces universal biological principles, including biological molecules, enzymes, cell structure and function, biochemistry, Mendelian and molecular genetics, ecology and evolution. BIOL 400 is recommended for science majors and students in pre-professional programs."

It's called Principle of Biology.

I took Principle of Biology. So, that means I need to re-take Cell and Molecular Biology?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually these are two different courses. The description are very confusing. I had to read them both twice :laugh:.

Most pharm schools will see principle of biology does not equal cell & molecular. Cell & molecular biology is a more advanced bio course probably a 300 or 400 level class. Principle of Biology is more along the lines of 100 level.

I suggest taking cell & molecular as it would be very beneficial to you for pharm school.

Usually these are two different courses. The description are very confusing. I had to read them both twice :laugh:.

Most pharm schools will see principle of biology does not equal cell & molecular. Cell & molecular biology is a more advanced bio course probably a 300 or 400 level class. Principle of Biology is more along the lines of 100 level.

I suggest taking cell & molecular as it would be very beneficial to you for pharm school.

The weird thing was that I learned about Calvin cycle, lactase, and such, but it's still called Principle of Biology.

The Pharm schools I will apply to would just look at the title, not the descriptions?

Members don't see this ad :)
The weird thing was that I learned about Calvin cycle, lactase, and such, but it's still called Principle of Biology.

The Pharm schools I will apply to would just look at the title, not the descriptions?
I've taken both "Principles of Biology" and "Cell & Molecular Biology" courses and yes, "Principles of Biology" does cover the Calvin Cycle, TCA, etc. but it doesn't cover them in detail.

The best thing to do is for you to call the school instead of asking on here since I do know that some schools call their general bio courses "Principles of Biology" and they'll fulfill your biology pre-requisite. My school actually separated them into specific biology courses (i.e. Zoology, Cellular Biology, etc) so what I've said may not necessarily apply to you.

I've taken both "Principles of Biology" and "Cell & Molecular Biology" courses and yes, "Principles of Biology" does cover the Calvin Cycle, TCA, etc. but it doesn't cover them in detail.

The best thing to do is for you to call the school instead of asking on here since I do know that some schools call their general bio courses "Principles of Biology" and they'll fulfill your biology pre-requisite. My school actually separated them into specific biology courses (i.e. Zoology, Cellular Biology, etc) so what I've said may not necessarily apply to you.

Just to make sure.

When you said "call the school", did you mean the school I want to apply for, right?

If that's the case, I don't know because I don't know which school should I apply to since I am an International Student and which school is easier for me to get in. I want to go to UCSF though.

Just to make sure.

When you said "call the school", did you mean the school I want to apply for, right?

If that's the case, I don't know because I don't know which school should I apply to since I am an International Student and which school is easier for me to get in. I want to go to UCSF though.

Well you better decide soon, or at least pick a few that have similar prerequisites. This isn't communist Russia where the state plans out your education and every college has the same classes and the same prereqs. Different colleges have different requirements. You need to match up what you are taking with what is needed for the colleg(es) you want to attend.

Before I start off, there is a same thread about this question, but I just want to make this clear.

I went to two differen school CC in California - same disctrict, of course.

One school's Bio course's description was

"Description: This is the first semester of a three-semester sequence in general biology designed for biology majors. It is an introduction to many aspects of living cells, with an emphasis on the molecular level of organization. Topics include an introduction to biological molecules, enzymes, cell structure, respiration, photosynthesis, reproduction, genetics and an introduction to statistical analysis. The course also covers molecular genetics, structure and function of viruses, DNA technology and genetic engineering techniques."

Which IS Cell and Molecular Biology

The other school's description was

"Description: This course introduces universal biological principles, including biological molecules, enzymes, cell structure and function, biochemistry, Mendelian and molecular genetics, ecology and evolution. BIOL 400 is recommended for science majors and students in pre-professional programs."

It's called Principle of Biology.

I took Principle of Biology. So, that means I need to re-take Cell and Molecular Biology?

Thank you.

Different schools may title the courses differently. I know when I took general bio at a CC in California it was called "cell and molecular" for the first semester. This is just general bio, so it will not fufill a requirement of "Cell Biology" nor "Molecular biology" those are usually junior and senior level courses that are not offered at a CC. I don't know if you're familiar with this website www.assist.org. It's a website that helps students that attend CC's in CA transfer to state Universities. I would select the school you took the class at and see what it transfers as to UCSF school of pharmacy. Then can see what classes by course title transfer as what requirement. I hope this is helpful to you.