Prior residency to count as prelim year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMeye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there could help me with my situation. I'm currently a 2nd year Emergency Medicine resident, and over the course of my intern year, I discovered that I am extremely interested in ophthalmology, especially ocular trauma. I have decided to apply for an ophthalmology residency, with the hope of matching and starting this residency after completing my EM residency. My question is if anyone knows whether my EM residency would fulfill the prerequisite of the prelim year. I've been looking everywhere online but unfortunately I couldn't find any info on the subject. I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Any PGY-1 will suffice for ophthalmology. The only real concern for you will be GME funding since you will have used up your time that Medicare pays to train a resident physician and many programs will shy away from you in that respect.

But do what you have a passion for and go for it!

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me with my situation. I'm currently a 2nd year Emergency Medicine resident, and over the course of my intern year, I discovered that I am extremely interested in ophthalmology, especially ocular trauma. I have decided to apply for an ophthalmology residency, with the hope of matching and starting this residency after completing my EM residency. My question is if anyone knows whether my EM residency would fulfill the prerequisite of the prelim year. I've been looking everywhere online but unfortunately I couldn't find any info on the subject. I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

Yes, the AAO states that a year of EM will suffice for your prelim year. So if you're in a 3 year EM program, apply now for placement in ophthy 2011.