Prior service and HSCP pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you receive an HSCP, does prior service count in your base pay? With 4 years active duty and 10 years in the reserve, would that start you as an E-6 with 4 years of service (or more with the reserves)?

Members don't see this ad.

If you receive an HSCP, does prior service count in your base pay? With 4 years active duty and 10 years in the reserve, would that start you as an E-6 with 4 years of service (or more with the reserves)?

As far as the 4 years prior service, yes it would count towards base pay. I'm not sure how reserve time counts towards pay.

For instance in my situation I had 4 years active duty and 4 years IRR. The weird way it works out is that I get 4 years towards retirement for the active duty time but I get credit for the acitve duty time + IRR time for pay purposes, so I currently get paid over 8 years.

I did 3 years active duty, and 5 years as a reservist, and I am an E-7 with 8 years. (for pay purposes only).

Members don't see this ad :)
How the hell are you an E-7 with only 8 years? I call shenanigans.

Watch out for 3" white PVC pipes poking out of walls in Iraq, if you get deployed and you're on patrol. Wait.... we won't be doing this... we'll be sitting somewhere nice and comfy. Yet proudly wearing E-7 rank. What a huge honor!

Watch out for 3" white PVC pipes poking out of walls in Iraq, if you get deployed and you're on patrol. Wait.... we won't be doing this... we'll be sitting somewhere nice and comfy. Yet proudly wearing E-7 rank. What a huge honor!

Taking out the 'holier than thou art' attitude from your posts would help improve these threads a lot.

Meh. That's not E-7 status, that's E-7 pay. Unless you've gone to AANOC, I'd like to see somebody try to wear that rank. And the way this is being explained, that's the image that I see happening.

I only recall 1/2 shenanigans.

Whoa buddy, you need to relax. Nobody is trying to walk around with an E-7's authority. And the last time I checked, E-7 was simply a paygrade. Gunnery Sergeant, or Sergeant First Class are ranks. When I was in I never referred to my Gunny as an E-7. Maybe thats how you roll in the Army though, just a bunch of numbers. I don't go to Navy bases and make people call me Chief.

And what the hell is the purpose of throwing around acronyms nobody understands? I served 8 years in the Marines, was deployed twice and I have no idea what AANOC means. I could throw around dozens of acronyms that make no sense to 95% of the military and 100% of civilains to make myself feel important too if I felt like it.

In the future, before you call people out, do a little research to get the facts straight. It might make the E-7's (if thats how you think of them) and below respect you a little more when you're an O-3.

Whoa buddy, you need to relax. Nobody is trying to walk around with an E-7's authority. And the last time I checked, E-7 was simply a paygrade. Gunnery Sergeant, or Sergeant First Class are ranks. When I was in I never referred to my Gunny as an E-7. Maybe thats how you roll in the Army though, just a bunch of numbers. I don't go to Navy bases and make people call me Chief.

And what the hell is the purpose of throwing around acronyms nobody understands? I served 8 years in the Marines, was deployed twice and I have no idea what AANOC means. I could throw around dozens of acronyms that make no sense to 95% of the military and 100% of civilains to make myself feel important too if I felt like it.

In the future, before you call people out, do a little research to get the facts straight. It might make the E-7's (if thats how you think of them) and below respect you a little more when you're an O-3.

This brings me memories great comment!!!!

How the hell dare I throw around acronyms in the military dentistry forum!! Advanced Non-commissioned Officer Course. Only idiots can't figure that out, at least by context.

You called me out for not doing research!!! If you google "AANOC army" the only thing that comes up is your post on this forum on SDN, however if you google "ANOC army" (the correct acronym) then you get the Advanced NCO course. If you throw around acronyms that don't mean anything, then it's easy to see why people don't know what you're talking about. Even smart people, not only idiots, can't make sense out of a meaningless acronym. Probably 95% of the people on here have no prior service and don't even know what a non-commissioned officer is. What rank were you when you got out? I hope never high enough to have any responsibility.

hat is EXACTLY how we roll in the Army, and everywhere else. If you're the great, philanthropic Devil Dog that you're trying to portray, why don't you understand another soldier's pride in the rank system?

Once again, E-1, E-7, O-3, O-10 etc. are pay grades. Would you ever introduce yourself as 'E-5 jones'? Or would 'Sergeant Jones' be more appropriate? Not a hard concept to understand, but you've already plainly stated that's how you roll. Feel free to have as much pride in the pay system as you please.

Two more questions for you?

Are you actually in Dental school?
If so, are you on an Army scholarship?

I hope to God you aren't in the Navy, because then I'll probably never have the privilege of working with you.

Have fun working on the all the E-1's through O-10's

Last edited:
Two more questions for you?

Are you actually in Dental school?
If so, are you on an Army scholarship?

I hope to God you are, because then I'll probably never have the privilege of working with you.

Have fun working on the all the E-1's through O-10's

Waldziu, Please don't join the Navy either! You have the maturity of a 5 year old

what in the world is going on in here??

8 years USMC 0311. 3 years Army (one tour Iraq on tour at Benning as a Drill Sergeant). I was in Iraq all of 2004 with the Army. I never left Fallujah by more than 20 miles and I hardly would say the Marines were bailed out of anything. It's nothing against the Army. They just want to start an investigation into anytime a soldier has to do his job. Marine commanders like to let their Marines get the job done. I worked side by side with some Marine Corps working in public affairs and if there was a shot to be taken I let them have it. I didn't want to spend the rest of my day explaining why I shot at someone carrying a RPG to my chain of command.
You can't blame a Jarhead (this is a term of endearment DentistDevilDog) for not knowing Army jargon. They speak 2 very different languages.

Sweet, another Marine dentist. Are you going back to the military after D-school?

8 years USMC 0311. 3 years Army (one tour Iraq on tour at Benning as a Drill Sergeant). I was in Iraq all of 2004 with the Army. I never left Fallujah by more than 20 miles and I hardly would say the Marines were bailed out of anything. It's nothing against the Army. They just want to start an investigation into anytime a soldier has to do his job. Marine commanders like to let their Marines get the job done. I worked side by side with some Marine Corps working in public affairs and if there was a shot to be taken I let them have it. I didn't want to spend the rest of my day explaining why I shot at someone carrying a RPG to my chain of command.
You can't blame a Jarhead (this is a term of endearment DentistDevilDog) for not knowing Army jargon. They speak 2 very different languages.

Thanks for your service. I am glad you made it back in one piece. Stay strong.