Prior service enlisted --> HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been going through the old threads here, and I haven't really seen this addressed. So here goes:

I was prior service Marine Corps (Intel). Was a Sgt (and about ~1yr from SSgt) when I left to go to college. Along the way, I picked up a MS in genetics and I'm applying to medical school for the upcoming year (although I'm interviewing @ a DO school this week -- long story).

I'm thinking of applying for HPSP, but I wanted to hear from anyone who's gone from the enlisted ranks to military physician. The reason that I ask this question is that I wondered if there were any other folks who'd been out for a couple of years (I've been out ~six) and went back in. I remember a lot of good times from the Suck, and I like the idea of being their doc.

Great forum. And militarymed, you totally remind me of gunny's I used to have...."The Marine Corps never promised you a rose garden, so stop yer bitchin' and get back to work!" :laugh:

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, and I'd also be interested in hearing from any other prior service folks. No need to limit myself. Thanks. :)

This is an easy question for yourself...why did you get out of the USMC? Tired of the military or was it time to continue your education?

If you didn't like the military and got out, I wouldn't recommend coming back in.

Being an officer is a whole different world than being a SSGT. The differences are impossible to describe, but with all of the increased responsibility comes increased perks. Also, if you liked working with marines/sailors, being a navy doc would probably be a good experience. You know what a WESTPAC is, and you have probably been to the armpits of the world. I enlisted right out of high school a long time ago, and the military has been a positive experience for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got out in 94 after 4 hard years as a grunt corpsman. I hated having a brain back then because I had to work for some real losers, and take out their trash as well. I went to PA school and came back in as an officer and it was a totally different world. Anyone who has experienced the suck of being enlisted will love having the chance to lead enlisted people as an officer. Plus the enlisted really respect you more, as well as your old enlisted tattoos!!! LOL

I got out and am now halfway through DO school. I am not going back in though because I am taking a NHSC scholarship. I nearly lost the farm in the first gulf war and they were trying to take me out of 1st year med school to go for round two. I am done with the military but for anyone who's wife would allow them to go back in, go for it!!...mine said NO.:laugh:

Originally posted by PACtoDOC
I got out in 94 after 4 hard years as a grunt corpsman. I hated having a brain back then because I had to work for some real losers, and take out their trash as well. I went to PA school and came back in as an officer and it was a totally different world. Anyone who has experienced the suck of being enlisted will love having the chance to lead enlisted people as an officer. Plus the enlisted really respect you more, as well as your old enlisted tattoos!!! LOL

I got out and am now halfway through DO school. I am not going back in though because I am taking a NHSC scholarship. I nearly lost the farm in the first gulf war and they were trying to take me out of 1st year med school to go for round two. I am done with the military but for anyone who's wife would allow them to go back in, go for it!!...mine said NO.:laugh:
Well, I'd say that you're wife has earned the right to say "no." ;) After all, the spouses are "in the service" almost as much as their husbands/wives.

Yeah, I hear you..having a brain really sucked back then...

Thanks for the info, sir! :thumbup: