Pritz Secondary: Relate an experience where you truly helped somebody....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the U Chicago question:
Relate an experience in which you felt you truly helped some one.

Now, I have tons of those experiences, but one sticks in my mind which was from HIGH SCHOOL. I was given the opportunity to have a huge drive/fund for an entire orphange in Mexico with 500 (you read that right!) kids. Coming up with a plan that would help 500 little kids was not easy, and neither was the execution of the plan. But somehow, we collected enough stuff that would last these kids 2 years. Anyway, so that little gig I did is near and dear to my heart. Question is: is it a faux pas to write about high school stuff?? And does the question not specifically address "how you helped someONE?" can't we have 500 little ones? LOL

I have stories about research subjects and patients and how I've been there for them etcetc etc. But I assume almost everybody is going to write about that. My PS was about that. I want to do something fresh and new, but is it too risque?

Lemme know, please!!
Tweetie

Members don't see this ad.

though i posted in another thread about avoiding highschool stuff when they ask for post-seconday - your experience seems like fair game - especially since it is so interesting. you can also mention how the effect of this experience didn't just stay in highschool - encouraged you to do other things in college. but just my opinion.
-jot

if any adcom gives anybody a hard time because they did great stuff in High School, then they seriously need to have whatever large object is lodged in their ascending colon removed.

Just make sure you've got some good stuff in college too, which I'm sure the vast majority of us have. But the U of C app has 5 essays, they'll have you're PS, and they have the AMCAS post-secondary experiences....so I'd use a HS experience if you have a good one.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's exactly what I'm thinking--
I have tons of experiences in college (sorry if i sound like I'm bragging); done publications/research etc etc; I am kinda tired talking about sciences and compassion. Although the above means a lot to me, working with children's organizations has given me as much fulfillment as meeting patients and having them feel better just by talking to me.

My PS was about how I have gone out of my way to help patients and how i like being there for people etc. This Mexico experience is really new and different. I doubt anybody has one like it. So as far as not having college experiences, I don't think any Ad Com in his/her right mind would say that to me. All they have to do is read the AMCAS.

I guess I am just nervous about having to say "HIGH SCHOOL" in any of my college essays. Any other opinions?? I am writing the essay right now, but I'll keep looking for more opinions.

WHy does your quote say and this year I get in. Have you applied before?? I only ask because you sound like a strong candidate.

From your description it doesn't sound like they specifically asked for post-secondary acts of kindness. Infer from that what you will.

Originally posted by longhorn
WHy does your quote say and this year I get in. Have you applied before?? I only ask because you sound like a strong candidate.

Hi LongHorn:
Thanks for the compliment. :) No, I haven't applied before. I decided that this would be my quote on Jan 1st, 2002. This quote just serves as an inspiration (or shall we call it motitvation?) for me to get just once acceptance BEFORE this year ends. Why? Because I am leaving the country this Dec to get married and would like to have good news BEFORE I go. :) Long story.. .....but if you want more info, PM me. :)

To others that were kind enough to reply:
I have already finished the little essay. Thank you so much for the support.
Tweetie

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
...This quote just serves as an inspiration (or shall we call it motitvation?) for me to get just once acceptance BEFORE this year ends. Why? Because I am leaving the country this Dec to get married and would like to have good news BEFORE I go. :) Long story.. .....but if you want more info, PM me. :)

Hope to see you at a UofC interview THIS year and that you get accepted THIS year also :)

BTW, your essay will be a refreshing one for the adcoms, and I highly doubt that someone is going to look beyond that and go "hey.. this is not about her helping one person, she helped 500! how horrible!" ;)