• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

pritzker or emory avg board scores?

veenut

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
    i wouldnt sweat it too much...i'm sure they're both significantly above the nat'l average, and probably within a couple points of each other. personally, i think the average board scores are more indicative of the quality of the students in the school than the school itself.

About the Ads

nosugrefneb

(benferguson)
    10+ Year Member
    Nov 22, 2005
    Chicago
    www.facebook.com
    1. Medical Student
      vn2004 said:
      i'm sure they're both significantly above the nat'l average, and probably within a couple points of each other.

Surprisingly, at Pritzker, they're not. They're about average from year to year, and yet the match lists are still pretty phenomenal, so the boards, while very important, are neither overemphasized here, nor do poor scores by any means rule you out of any specialties. Most programs are aware that Pritzker produces good residents regardless of their board scores, and that reputation tends to overshadow poor test-taking, if present. This school takes pride in the fact that it does not teach to the boards, but rather produces competent and knowledgeable physicians. Given the format of most of our exams (essay-based), a lot of people have more trouble than expected on the multiple-choice boards because we haven't seen that type of exam throughout most of med school, especially compared to some schools who use board-style questions for every exam. But again, it doesn't matter as much here as it might elsewhere.

vn2004 said:
      personally, i think the average board scores are more indicative of the quality of the students in the school than the school itself.

Really?
      I don't know what other schools' board scores are, but I'd bet there are some other top schools who are in the same situation as I've described above.

Ben

snowgirl

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jun 12, 2005
        nosugrefneb said:
        Surprisingly, at Pritzker, they're not. They're about average from year to year, and yet the match lists are still pretty phenomenal, so the boards, while very important, are neither overemphasized here, nor do poor scores by any means rule you out of any specialties. Most programs are aware that Pritzker produces good residents regardless of their board scores, and that reputation tends to overshadow poor test-taking, if present. This school takes pride in the fact that it does not teach to the boards, but rather produces competent and knowledgeable physicians. Given the format of most of our exams (essay-based), a lot of people have more trouble than expected on the multiple-choice boards because we haven't seen that type of exam throughout most of med school, especially compared to some schools who use board-style questions for every exam. But again, it doesn't matter as much here as it might elsewhere.

Really?
        I don't know what other schools' board scores are, but I'd bet there are some other top schools who are in the same situation as I've described above.

Ben

thanks Ben!
        anyone else with insight into emory?

riceman04

15+ Year Member
        Mar 21, 2005
        Los Angeles
        1. Medical Student
          nosugrefneb said:

Really?

Ben

I heard that Pritzker incorporates alot of research based lectures into the curriculum.

I know that USC teaches towards the boards.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.