Pritzker or UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pritzker or UC Davis

• Pritzker

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • UC Davis

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • It doesn't matter much at this stage - wait until Residency.

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

ChessMess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pritzker Pros: Name recognition for residency, Strong Match List, location (chicago).

Pritzker Cons: weather, location (far from cali), bound to be more uptight pretentious pr!cks here than at Davis.

UC Davis Pros: Location, P/NP, Match list similar to Pritzker (surprisingly), Up and coming program, Less expensive (20K/year), New facilities.

UC Davis Cons: Name does not carry as much weight.

What would you add?

Advice from those with first hand experience will be appreciated greatly!

Members don't see this ad.

Pritzker is also pass/fail. Unless you mean during the clinical years...

I didn't meet any uptight pretentious anyones during Pritzker revisit. All the current students seemed pretty relaxed.

it sounds like you'd like to be at davis, since most of chicago's pros that you list involve how the school would allow you to match. davis will probably serve you just fine, esp if you want to match in cali.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the actual price differential you are facing?

overall 20k/year difference.

You're right Detroit, I am primarily concerned with matchin into whatever I decide to match into. Although I did like other aspects of the school in and of itself, I am trying to stay focused to the bigger picture. Maybe it's not going to make such a difference where I go to m.school, so much as where I go to residency.

On the other hand, from what other neurotic and insecure premeds tell me name recognition has an influence on where you get into residency. And I do remember the pritz. admish. ppl saying how even in the non-sexy specialities they get into sexy locations.

which is not to discount uc davis. if you look at their match list they place ppl. into just as many tough specialties as prit. and as it turns out, since most of those matches are in california, where I want to be, then it works out ever so convieeeenently. Moreover, I've also heard that the tough matches go to those in the top portion of the class. if you believe pritzker is more academically rigorous than uc davis, maybe I would have a better shot at residency placement at uc davis. this last part is solely speculation - the reality is probably somewhere in between - yet I'm still clueless as to what that reality is.

u of c did have a great student newspaper tho...

Pritzker Cons: ...bound to be more uptight pretentious pr!cks here than at Davis.

UC Davis Pros: ...P/NP...

Are you kidding? Pritzker is completely P/F sans rankings, internal or otherwise, for 75% of the time, and the pricks are few and far between, if any. I think you need to look into these schools a bit more than how they match or how uptight of a place you predict them to be.

PS That post was, of course, at the risk of sounding uptight.:) DON'T JUDGE ME.

Are you kidding? Pritzker is completely P/F sans rankings, internal or otherwise, for 75% of the time, and the pricks are few and far between, if any. I think you need to look into these schools a bit more than how they match or how uptight of a place you predict them to be.

PS That post was, of course, at the risk of sounding uptight.:) DON'T JUDGE ME.

hmmm, and is someone at a certain school pretentious enough to think they deserve two sequential posts in one thread? ;)

PPS That post was, of course, at the risk of sounding pretentious.:) DON'T JUDGE ME.