Pritzker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheJiggler

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with Uchicago this past year? Seems like they got a lot more applicants...and practically no wait list movement (class was full as of may 15----straight from the dean of the whole school). Is it just a good year for them? Or are they on the rise?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about U Chi specifically, but here are some general observations about medical school admissions.

Every year ever school says they had a lot more applicants than the year prior (at least this has been true for the last several years, and it is not surprising as overall applications have increased and it appears students are also applying to more schools). A class being full with no waitlist movement is really a reflection of how well the school planned the number of acceptances. Remember medical school classes are small, only 80-180 students typically. If even 20 students do something unexpected (family reasons, silly rumor on SDN, etc) then that can create a crisis for the school, either they have to figure out a way to get some students to defer or they have to go deep into their waitlist. It is a difficult balancing act.

What's the deal with Uchicago this past year? Seems like they got a lot more applicants...and practically no wait list movement (class was full as of may 15----straight from the dean of the whole school). Is it just a good year for them? Or are they on the rise?

They did move up in the rankings this year from I believe 18 to 15 - not a huge movement but there is probably a psychological factor associated with saying you go to a top 15 school. My impression was that they were throwing around quite a bit of merit scholarship money which may have helped their yield. Unfortunately none of it my way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also realize that if students aren't moving from Pritzker, then students aren't moving from Pritzker's waitlist either - which means other schools will be getting less waitlist movement as well.

It wouldn't suprise me if there was less overall waitlist movement this year for many schools.

I applied to Pritzker because I liked the name. :D
Pri-TZ-ker. Yeah.