1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Pritzker's Lovely Essays

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TMP-SMX, Jul 17, 2006.

1. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know they've been posted before, but here is a simple question about:

3B. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice.

I know they say they don't have preconceived answers, but I do have a challenge that I faced with my research. It took me over 6 months to get my project to work. We repeated step after step with minor changes until finally we replaced a secondary antibody. (Worked like a charm after that).

Think research challenges is fine to use for that essay? I'd like to write about something that was a little bigger challenge than this, but I guess I can make it like a problem solving challenge type of thing. The way they word the question is like they are asking for something a little more serious than months of research down the drain.

I know their next essay is about how you are a great fit for Pritzker (Essentially that you like research).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know how to answer that...it seemed like they were aiming at something more serious than what I had to offer too.

4. coralfangs

coralfangs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i am also stuck on this question
    i was hoping to talk about research but then.... who doesn't have difficulties in research, nothing works 100%,
    i'm afraid that everyone would have a similar essay, "didn't work with those material, figured out another way around it"
    but that's life though, isn't it

can we talk about some of the **** unrelated to research that we can't control?

5. Severus

Severus FTSM!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd use writing all of their bloody essays as an example of a difficult and challenging experience. :thumbdown:

6. thinknofu3

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wrote about issues I had when I had to be a TA for a group of younger students, and had trouble communicating with them effectively and getting them to work together. I was able to find ways to fix the situation and improve it for everybody. Remember, not everything has to be overtly medicine/science related ;)

7. Mutt

Mutt SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

It actually might make you look worse if you tell them that it took you 6 months to figure out your 2ndary wasn't working...

8. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Secondary antibodies don't usually degrade. They are pretty hardy and were only a year old.

9. top

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LOL. If I applied there again, I would definitely use that as my challenging experience. I spent so much time writing their dumb essays, and got nothing to show for it except a pre-interview rejection letter and a few dollars missing from my checking account.

10. HairyCow

HairyCow Sweeping the Nation
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    HAHAHA. Nerd! :p

11. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thanks for posting this thread. You saved me a few bucks because I won't waste my time with nonsense like this. :)

12. nosugrefneb

nosugrefneb (benferguson)
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you people serious? I can remember how thankful I was to have had meaningful questions rather than just send extra money in or face the ubiquitous "update your file" prompt. It shows that they're actually trying to find out WHO you are. Sure, it's more of a test of the mind to answer the questions, but dumb? I personally found them to be pretty thoughtful questions.

13. Zoom-Zoom

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What! Writing is hard and stuff. Can't they just give us the essay and have us memorize it?

14. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No $hit. Where's the multiple choice, dammit?

15. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, with Pritzker I was just like, 'Thank you sir! May I have another?'
    They were hard but I think they were interesting to do.

16. DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually like the UC essays, it makes believe that they are after a certain type of student not just a few numbers. I still won't get it, but its worth a shot lol.

17. Darkshooter326

Darkshooter326 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Yea, which is great if you're the person they want, otherwise... no :laugh:

18. top

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha...of course, you have a point. But I applied really late last cycle (I submit my primary the first week of October), so by the time I got my secondaries, all I wanted to do was get them in, without much thought as to where or what. Let's just say that UPenn, WashU, and Harvard were my best friends, and I have sworn a blood oath against Chicago and Duke. Of those five schools, though, I got into two of the three of the "best friends" group, and one of the two "mortal enemies" group. It's a random process; I'm not sure how much the essays really help the school "get to know you" when everyone has to do them.

Also, I'm a double-lit major, so it's not like I'm against writing.

19. nosugrefneb

nosugrefneb (benferguson)
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's true...I guess if your stats aren't stellar, you relish ANY opportunity to contribute more to your application rather than just leave it basically up to the primary AMCAS. I was definitely in that position, and when Penn just asked me simply to send in money, I pretty much realized that my numbers alone weren't going to get me in there, so I loved it when schools asked more about ME.

20. I can sympathize... I'm in the exact same boat. I was going to write about a very similar research problem, but I'm just not sure... The only other more legit challenge is way too personal, and I'm not going to write about that, so I feel like I'm really stuck on this one...

21. maestro1625

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well I applied to thier school knowing full well that it costs nearly 40k a year. It's not as if I'm gonna be crawling in hardship.

So I decided to write about how I lost my father to a white collar federal prison camp after he made millions working for Enron.

"Why I Listen to Emo: A Story of my Suburban White Kid Problems"

22. Darkshooter326

Darkshooter326 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Sounds interesting :oops:

23. zach1201

zach1201 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I felt the same way when I submitted University of Rochester application the other day.

I have no idea what your personal problem is, but if it doesn't portray you in a negative light, I'd write about it. Gives your application that much more of a personal aspect. That's what this essay is all about.

24. Thanks for the input. I don't think this would portray me in a negative light, but it is a difficult subject for me to talk about (alcoholic in the family). Basically, I know if I put it on my secondary, it would be fair game for interviews, and I'm not sure that's where I want the conversation heading...

25. nager105

nager105 So it goes.
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have to agree that the Pritzker essays have been some of the hardest to think through and write out, but I think that's probably more of a good thing than bad. With the second essay I wrote about dealing with my feelings of animosity towards my undergrad university. I worked in an office on campus that had a lot of contact with prospective students and their families, and I had to decide how honest to be in my portrayal so that I wasn't either lying or compromising the other people in my office.

26. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

honestly, if i were reapplying, i would talk about the challenge of being rejected from every school...

27. maestro1625

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    apparently I should have used a smiley on my post?

either way, I wrote about growing up with a certain irritating medical condition.

28. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    To each their own, but I would interpret the question to be asking for more of a personal challenge that you've faced--perhaps similar to Pitt's moral/ethical dilemma question.

29. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member

Attending Physician
    That's what I thought. And hence the reason I posted because I'm drawing a blank. I'll have to think about it a bit more.

30. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

I wrote about my parents' divorce.

My faculty interviewer brought it up extensively (we probably talked about that more than anything else). So make sure that whatever you write, you're OK with talking about it.

31. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, like I said in the other thread, it can be a difficult topic for an essay (albeit a meaningful one, in my opinion). You have a lot of time; I'm sure you'll come up with something.

32. Hypothalamus

Hypothalamus Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I love the school. I HATE this secondary application. What a monster.

33. frycek

frycek Member
    10+ Year Member

My thoughts on that essay: they want to know about your interpersonal skills and emotional/psychological strengths. There's a lot of space to let your intellectual and research skills shine elsewhere. This is a chance to show your EQ (know it? emotional quotient?)

Good luck!
    (I'm at Pritzker class of '09, by the way)