Private equity buys anesthesia - Dr. Glaucomflecken

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLoneWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Spot on

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He has a set of balls on him!!!

Metaphorically speaking ofc.

Reactions: 2 users
PE buying Dermstology and dental (orthodontists, endodontists, oral maxillofacial surgery) all across.

PE buying Dermstology and dental (orthodontists, endodontists, oral maxillofacial surgery) all across.
not surprised. these people analyzes where money can be made. im more concerned about PE buying all the houses and raising rents everywhere

not surprised. these people analyzes where money can be made. im more concerned about PE buying all the houses and raising rents everywhere
PE is buying up land in Denver, Seattle, and other cities for community development.... they own a lot of senior campus', apartment, and rental communities in development across the US.

Reactions: 1 user
and it annoys me a lot because US government wont put an end or create stricter regulations because they bought out by these rich PEs

It’s also the tax code and loopholes that incentivizes this perverse form of capitalism. Private equity often makes money by destroying businesses. They are essentially looting the American economy and both parties seem completely afraid to do anything about it.

Reactions: 4 users
It’s also the tax code and loopholes that incentivizes this perverse form of capitalism. Private equity often makes money by destroying businesses. They are essentially looting the American economy and both parties seem completely afraid to do anything about it.
yes, i meant to include that as well, bc government has the power to change the tax code. just look at the recent bill proposed to fix carried interest. it had so much resistance because government officials dont want to piss off the rich, who donate a lot of money to them. its pathetic but unfortunately its how the game works in this country. it makes no sense to me why hedge fund managers get capital gains tax instead of income tax on a large portion of their income... and government still refuse to close that loophole, and instead only proposed the wait period to be longer

Reactions: 1 users
yes, i meant to include that as well, bc government has the power to change the tax code. just look at the recent bill proposed to fix carried interest. it had so much resistance because government officials dont want to piss off the rich, who donate a lot of money to them. its pathetic but unfortunately its how the game works in this country. it makes no sense to me why hedge fund managers get capital gains tax instead of income tax on a large portion of their income... and government still refuse to close that loophole, and instead only proposed the wait period to be longer

For those not up to date, there is a proposal to close the carried interest loophole in order to pay for part of the climate bill. Who knows if that will survive.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those not up to date, there is a proposal to close the carried interest loophole in order to pay for part of the climate bill. Who knows if that will survive.

they are trying to trick the public into thinking its being closed with this proposal, when it isnt!

And it looks like Sinema just signed

they are trying to trick the public into thinking its being closed with this proposal, when it isnt!

And it looks like Sinema just signed

Yeah it just increases the required holding period from 3yrs to 5yrs. If these rich guys can hang on for 2 more years, they’ll still be able to cut their tax burden in half.

Edit: Looks like they dropped the carried interest provision in order to get Sinema’s signature on the climate bill. She will have a bright future in PE when she leaves the senate. She is their hero.

Last edited:
Yeah it just increases the required holding period from 3yrs to 5yrs. If these rich guys can hang on for 2 more years, they’ll still be able to cut their tax burden in half.

Edit: Looks like they dropped the carried interest provision in order to get Sinema’s signature on the climate bill. She will have a bright future in PE when she leaves the senate. She is their hero.
she prob got millions promised to her already

The last 3 presidents vowed to get rid of carried interest and they all failed. It’s not going anywhere when it’s so easy to buy politicians.

The last 3 presidents vowed to get rid of carried interest and they all failed. It’s not going anywhere when it’s so easy to buy politicians.
thats why i always laugh when i read politics related news. its all BS. politicians just make things sound good, when a lot of them are corrupt as hell underneath. its just an act. its hilarious nancy pelosi goes to taiwan to show how important our system of government is vs china, when this is the crap going on in our own country. whens nancy going to propose stopping congress people and their family from being able to trade individual stocks?? such big conflicts of interest.

meanwhile china stops cooperation with US in multiple areas such as climate. her trip only made things worse

thats why i always laugh when i read politics related news. its all BS. politicians just make things sound good, when a lot of them are corrupt as hell underneath. its just an act. its hilarious nancy pelosi goes to taiwan to show how important our system of government is vs china, when this is the crap going on in our own country. whens nancy going to propose stopping congress people and their family from being able to trade individual stocks?? such big conflicts of interest.

meanwhile china stops cooperation with US in multiple areas such as climate. her trip only made things worse

Looks like the carried interest loophole closure (really just a delay) is already out of the bill. Sinema made it a requirement to remove in exchange for her support.

Really neither party has any right to claim they represent the (non-ultra wealthy) people.

Told an orthopod his next elective pt had a potassium of 2.6.

His response:
'sorry, is that too low or too high? '
Only response necessary….

“Yes. the cefazolin pump may have problems resulting in a surgical infection.”

Looks like the carried interest loophole closure (really just a delay) is already out of the bill. Sinema made it a requirement to remove in exchange for her support.

Really neither party has any right to claim they represent the (non-ultra wealthy) people.
"Senator Kyrsten Sinema is considering backing a Republican amendment that would create special tax treatment for the private equity industry in Democrat’s tax and climate bill, according to a person familiar.

Senator John Thune, the No. 2 Senate Republican, is planning to offer the amendment in the coming hours that would make the 15% corporate minimum tax apply to fewer companies owned by private equity firms."

did they just go from restricting a tax loop hole for private equity... to give them a tax break ??? what a joke

sinema must have serious funding from private equity fund managers.

Reactions: 3 users
"Senator Kyrsten Sinema is considering backing a Republican amendment that would create special tax treatment for the private equity industry in Democrat’s tax and climate bill, according to a person familiar.

Senator John Thune, the No. 2 Senate Republican, is planning to offer the amendment in the coming hours that would make the 15% corporate minimum tax apply to fewer companies owned by private equity firms."

did they just go from restricting a tax loop hole for private equity... to give them a tax break ??? what a joke

sinema must have serious funding from private equity fund managers.

Sickening.

Did you notice the EV tax deduction will no longer be allowed for those who make 300k or more as a household.

I swear, everything is structured to minimize taxes on the “middle class” — which I wouldn’t have an issue except also minimized for the truly wealthy. If you do well but still work hard (ie doctors) you end up paying the very highest % compared to both ends.

Sickening.

Did you notice the EV tax deduction will no longer be allowed for those who make 300k or more as a household.

I swear, everything is structured to minimize taxes on the “middle class” — which I wouldn’t have an issue except also minimized for the truly wealthy. If you do well but still work hard (ie doctors) you end up paying the very highest % compared to both ends.

HENRY- High Earner Not Rich Yet.

The tax code is hard for this demographic which describes lots of physicians.

Reactions: 7 users
I don’t have a problem with private equity buying stuff. My problem is when they get caught with the hands in too many cookie jars in declining assets.

How much did the gabe plotkin hedge fund game stop guy lose of his OWN money in 2021. He’s a fraud to began with cheating his way to the top in 2013 insider trading.

But he made 800 plus million in 2020 alone. Lost around 2.7 billion in 2021. So what were his actual personal losses. My guess is he probably lost less than 50 million of his own money. PE owners do not lost much even when their business plans blow up.

Just watch envision KKR. How much did Kkr actually use of their own money to finance the 9 billion?

I don’t have a problem with private equity buying stuff. My problem is when they get caught with the hands in too many cookie jars in declining assets.

How much did the gabe plotkin hedge fund game stop guy lose of his OWN money in 2021. He’s a fraud to began with cheating his way to the top in 2013 insider trading.

But he made 800 plus million in 2020 alone. Lost around 2.7 billion in 2021. So what were his actual personal losses. My guess is he probably lost less than 50 million of his own money. PE owners do not lost much even when their business plans blow up.

Just watch envision KKR. How much did Kkr actually use of their own money to finance the 9 billion?
thats why the carried interest tax is a loophole. it makes no sense for them to be paid long term capital gains when the gain isnt off their money, but others. it should be regular income tax

I want to short humanity.

Extinction is pretty much a guarantee….it just depends how long you can hold the short position. Are we going to kill ourselves in the near term or will we last until our sun burns out? I’m guessing the sun will have plenty of fuel left when Homo sapiens are no longer wandering the planet.

Last year I had Anes cancel an SCS revision for K+=5.7, stat repeat and it was 5.5. Still Cx.
Its a high K and its a totally elective procedure. VERY elective. Why was it so high? If it was >6.0 it would be unconscionable IMO to proceed. 5.7 is pretty close. Without a solid explanation as to why, and/or old labs showing this is a chronic issue, I can understand cancelling this.

Its a high K and its a totally elective procedure. VERY elective. Why was it so high? If it was >6.0 it would be unconscionable IMO to proceed. 5.7 is pretty close. Without a solid explanation as to why, and/or old labs showing this is a chronic issue, I can understand cancelling this.
It’s my job to make sure patient is optimized for surgery. Not my job to optimize them the day of.

Last year I had Anes cancel an SCS revision for K+=5.7, stat repeat and it was 5.5. Still Cx.

Elective case. Straight up I’m canceling for the K+, ain’t my job to figure out why. Next pt please.

So why repeat it? And when it comes back normal at 5.5?
Could not find literature to support cancellation.

Also, this one 😂

The sad irony here is when he says canceling a case is a core competency of residency… it actually is. It’s one of the OSCE scenarios. Nothing like paying the ABA to hire an actor to yell at you as you wonder whether you did enough to even pass the oral exam earlier that day.

• Haha
So why repeat it? And when it comes back normal at 5.5?
Could not find literature to support cancellation.

Depends on patient comorbidities

It's possible it was hemolyzed and it's actually 4.0 or something

5.5 isn't really normal and I don't blame them for canceling

Depends on patient comorbidities

It's possible it was hemolyzed and it's actually 4.0 or something

5.5 isn't really normal and I don't blame them for canceling

To me, a K+ of 5.5 is like a hct of 33. Is it normal? No. Do I cancel the case? No.

To me, a K+ of 5.5 is like a hct of 33. Is it normal? No. Do I cancel the case? No.

TBH I probably wouldn't have even checked it for this likely low risk patient for a low risk procedure and I probably wouldn't have canceled it. But I wasn't there evaluating the patient so I can't automatically fault someone for doing so.

Sometimes the problem with having information that you yourself wouldn’t have asked for (like a K+ on a simple case that can be done with a MAC in most instances) is that you’re forced to act on that information.

I don’t blame someone for rescheduling on that K+, but personally if it were isolated and the patient seemed reasonable I would’ve done the case. Regardless, the patient does need to go see whoever is prescribing whatever medicine is affecting their K+ for an adjustment, and since they’re in our ‘office’ either us or the surgeon should call and help facilitate that appointment. My opinion is that doing so stresses the importance to the patient, as opposed to just saying ‘hey you need to go see your primary care doc’. Helping to facilitate the appointment also feels like the right thing to do for the patient.

It’s my job to make sure patient is optimized for surgery. Not my job to optimize them the day of.

When to optimize and when to cancel is part of the art of the job.

I’m not going to say I’m never going to assist optimizing . But at some point it’s too much to optimize day of ..