private group versus hospital employee?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by kat82, 05.12.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. kat82

kat82 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi all- pardon my ignorance but can someone go into the pros and cons of working as a hospital employee versus for a private group?

I've only ever worked as a hospital employee. It's very simple. I'm paid an annual salary. I don't have to deal with things like RVUs. I have great benefits. I know nothing about the benefits or drawbacks of working for a private group. If someone could go into this for me, I would appreciate it

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Partner
    Benefit: You get paid more. Remember an employee can never be paid what he is worth (at least long term), otherwise there would be no profit left for the employer.

Drawback: You have to deal with things like RVUs and you get to pay for (and decide on) your own benefits.

4. kat82

kat82 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Is this (paying for your own benefits) only the case for an independent contractor or the same if you work for a group (for example, EMA, EMP, etc)

5. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Partner
    I get every dollar I earn. I then pay for my benefits. I "work for a group" but I'm also an owner of said group. I don't know exactly how EMA and EMP are structured. If you own the business, you get the profits. If you don't, then someone else gets them. It's as simple as that.

About the ads