1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Private Institutions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kltmd, Jun 20, 2001.

1. kltmd

kltmd Member
    7+ Year Member

Do private institutions give any preference to students from within their state? In my case, I live in Maryland. I have average scores (30 MCAT, 3.84 GPA), good recs, and good experiences. Is it even worth my time and money to apply to a school like Hopkins?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. joojoobeware

joojoobeware Member
    7+ Year Member

Privates are not like state schools. Yes, apply to privates...everyone has a shot at those schools (in and out of state).

4. Olsen

Olsen Member
    7+ Year Member

If you look at the specs for Hopkins they have a rather high percentage of in state students. I suspect that they do give a slight preference to those living in state. For a school of that stature you are likely to have many, many, more students applying from out of state and thus would expect, if they gave no preference to in state students, a much lower percentage.

5. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Some private schools do give some degree of preference for in-state residents. CWRU, for example, receives funding from the state of Ohio and as a result has agreed to take 50-60% of each year's class from the pool of Ohio residents. You can probably find this information in the MSAR.

6. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Baylor is another state school that gives significant preference to state residents. However, as for your question about Hopkins, probably the best way to figure it out would be to look in the MSAR.

7. ewells

ewells Big Daddy
    7+ Year Member

Mayo is private, but gives reduced tuition to students from AZ, MN and FL, because there are Mayo Clinics in those states. I do not think that it affects admissions.