Private loan and credit....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying next year and already know I'm going to need a private loan to help fill the financial gap for me and my family. What private loans are easier on the credit requirments? I'm working on cleaning up my credit now but I don't think I'll have a cosigner and after looking at the Maximizer loan requirments there is no way I qualify for that. What other loans are out there for medschool freshman with poor credit and no cosigner?

Members don't see this ad.

That depends. By poor credit do you mean delinquencies? or simply a low score due to high utilisation etc?

natsipoo said:
That depends. By poor credit do you mean delinquencies? or simply a low score due to high utilisation etc?
some delinquencies and settlements in full.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know your credit score?

You are doing a great job by cleaning up your credit now. Since you will have a year of "good" credit this might help you alot. With private loans, as long as you are probably above a 600/630 you probably won't need a cosigner (again this can depend GREATLY on the lender) but you're interest rate will be higher. Those with better credit gets you BETTER interest rates. Being in med school you probalby won't have a huge issue getting credit but make sure you have good clean credit over the next year and this will help you out more than you might think. :luck:

mshheaddoc said:
Do you know your credit score?

You are doing a great job by cleaning up your credit now. Since you will have a year of "good" credit this might help you alot. With private loans, as long as you are probably above a 600/630 you probably won't need a cosigner (again this can depend GREATLY on the lender) but you're interest rate will be higher. Those with better credit gets you BETTER interest rates. Being in med school you probalby won't have a huge issue getting credit but make sure you have good clean credit over the next year and this will help you out more than you might think. :luck:

Thanks for the info I requested my credit report yesterday. I'm embarassed I don't know or keep up very much with my credit I hope it isn't to bad.

What are the best ways to start credit? Is it secured credit cards for a few months and then what?

Student credit cards would work, if you can't get those get a secured credit card. I don't like secured credit cards but sometimes that might be where you have to start.

I work for TERI who guarantees the Education Maximizer loans. They just raised the credit requirements, but they don't put up the scores anymore :(

the_labrat said:
I work for TERI who guarantees the Education Maximizer loans. They just raised the credit requirements, but they don't put up the scores anymore :(
Thats all I need. I really need to improve my credit score any suggestions?