Private Loans and SS#

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meggs

Dpr@v@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the people who have already applied to private loans. Have any of the lenders required you to have a social security #?

I tried to get online pre-approal of the Citibank loan, and even though I couldn't get due to date issues, I was never asked for ss#. But when I called UOP to learn more about private loans, they told me some private lenders have changed their requirements from last year. Some of them are now requiring the international students to have a ss# in order to be ablet apply. I was told Sallie Mae is one of the lenders who switch to that new rule.

What do you guys know about this? Any experiences?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by rajkang
we used boston university's student id and it was accepted by access group.

I'll try that as well, but your wife enrolled last year, and the rules have changed since last year. So maybe they changed after your wife enrolled. Thanks anyway, I'll look into it.

Hi,
I have applied for private loans and they asked me for my SSN (all lenders needed it). They told me that i cannot apply for the loan so early (since it is for Fall 2004). I have been asked to apply in May.
Do any of you have experienced this problem. Please reply. I will greatly appreciate your help.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by good_dentist
....I have applied for private loans and they asked me for my SSN (all lenders needed it).....

To which lenders did you applied to? did you tried online? Citiassist online didn't required for me, but I didn't go through it, so I don't know..... What did they told you?
Any help will be appreciated, Thanks.

Oh, I forgot, Welcome.

Hi,
i applied to MEFA first, they rejected saying I have to apply in May. Another thing that I noticed that if you are a citizen or your co-signer is a citizen, then only you can apply online. Otherwise it will not go through. You will have to apply my mail or fax.
Next I enquired with Fleet, Citiassist (it is mentioned on their application form that you have to apply 90 days before you start school, and only citizens can apply online) Fleet bank said that they too will accept the application 90 days in Advance.
then I called up Salllie Mae and they told me the same. Hence I just have to wait till May for the loan to get approved.
But all these lenders need your SSN. If you do not have one call them and tell them. They will require only your co-signers SSN then.
Hope this helps.
BTW, what do you mean "check with your PM" when you replied to my other query??

Thanks for your repply good_dentist.

PM stands for Private Messagge. It's a private way of me communicating with you, so the whole forum doesn't has to witness the conversation.

At the very top of the page (above the banner ad) there's a whole menu of options. Click on the very first one, "User CP", and it will take you to a page with your personal settings, incluiding your Private Messagges. Click on mine, and you'll see it. Then click on "Repply" to answer me back. ........ Hope this makes sense.

hi,

i called access group today for private loan and they told me that to qualify for this loan,u must earn a minimum credit bureau score and have three years of established u.s. credit history in ure OWN NAME . i asked them can my husband who has a good credit history of 7years can qualify and they told me cant be done. do any body of u know a lender where i can borrow a loan based on my husbands credit history. please help

thanks

bentur,

You need to ask for Health Students Loans, for International Students. Or better yet, try to find out in the internet the actual name of that loan for the company you were calling to. Then call them (with the name in hand) and ask them the info again.

Actually, just go the thread Links of interest.... and there links to all type of loans available for us.

Hi,
i am in a similar situation. I was looking at the BOFA website and one of their requirements for the private student loan was a Student visa, which i dont have and neither do i have a SSN, which they probably require. Getting a I20 and student visa will be after loan approvals and one can study on visas like H4, ie dependent visa. I can suggest a few private lenders that a financial aid advisor suggested- Access group, Nalie Mae, which are non-profit organizations.
also, if u go to your schools website they usually have a preferred lender's list.. atleast UCLA does, so it will be a good idea to contact each of them and see what's best.
Now, some people have said that they expect u to apply in May, but what about people whose school begins in June? is it not the right time to apply.
Also it will be really nice if the people who have taken loans from access group or other private loans post some info for all of us.

Guys :

Try Bank One application that helper already posted about .I contacted them &They accept an application without a SS# .

Originally posted by sam3
Guys :

Try Bank One application that helper already posted about .I contacted them &They accept an application without a SS# .

Can you please post the link Sam? Thank you.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.studentloannet.com/inclu...nature/bankone/ Go to the end of the web page and choose the Signature Loan Application and download it as well as the addendum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helper :

I guess this is not the right link to download the applications.I searched the whole site & could not find them .Here is an easier way to download them :

http://www.salliemae.com/signature/bankone//

they are at the bottom of the page .

Meggs :read helper post called " Private Loan Details for Foreign Dental Graduates "

the info he wrote are priceless .But when you wanna download the application forms ,check the link I inserted .

Thank you Sam.

Hi Folks but could you tell me where is this helper post?
MY Brain Cells are on strike since the past few days..:rolleyes:

Thanks Buddy,
Guess I can rely on SDN as long as my neurons are on Strike:D