private loans -- what can we do?

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by dthankins, Apr 4, 2004.

1. dthankins

dthankins Member
    10+ Year Member

I have read a lot about deferment, forebearance, and consolidation for federal loans but does anyone know about private loans?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. beyond all hope

beyond all hope Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Different private loans have different rules about these sorts of things. My loans allow deferment but not consolidation. My suggestion is to look very carefully at all aspects of the loan before jumping on one over the other - if you have any choice in the matter. I didn't...:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Moving to the Financial Aid forum.....

4. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Interesting, you mean there are loans that you can't consolidate? Why would that be?

5. Vincristine

7+ Year Member

I have Citibank CitiAssist loans and they told me I was not able to consolidate them. For some reason I didn't ask why. It likely has something to do with not being able to lock in a lower itnerest rate than the variable set in the terms of the loan.