Private med schools that favor in-state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize for my ignorance, but could anyone tell me any private med school that favors in-state applicants (besides Baylor)?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that U. Pitt also favors instate slightly.

I know that Medical College of Wisc doesn't "favor" instate, but 75% of their class is from Wisc. and they even give you a thousand dollar break or so for being from Wisconsin (they get a few dollars tossed at them from the state). SO, it seems like you do get a slight edge if you have a WI after your town.
-Eric

Members don't see this ad :)
OHSU is Semi-Private and favors instate and WICHE (I think) states

University of Miami and Temple

I think Case favors in state

i think usc favors cali residents.

Wake Forest. They like NC residents.

Originally posted by MGoBlue13
I think Case favors in state
Yeah, I think it's about 60% in-state.

Medical College of Wisconsin accepts 50% of its class from WI (not 75% as posted above). A typical year is 100WI, 103 Outastate.

Originally posted by arsh
I believe that U. Pitt also favors instate slightly.

I don't think University of Pitt is a private medical school.

Does anyone know of U Penn favors in-state applicants??

I believe Baylor favors Texas residents and Emory favors Southeastern applicants and maybe more so those from GA, but I am not sure on that part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, You are right, MCW is about 50% in state. I pulled out my packet and actually the drop in tuition is 10k, not just 1k, making the school a sweet deal at 20k (ha ha ha..... right).
-=Eric

dont forget jefferson too. also, jeff has some thing where they get money to reserve spots for 20 kids from delaware.

Miami has prefered them historically (2001 stats: 142 students, 7 from out of state) but that is changing dramatically (2002, not published yet, 14X students, 42!!! from out of state). This is b/c the state pays Miami 30k/yr/state resident. However, they've realized that their reputation will be better if they're a national school...so they're moving away from mostly state kids...but there is a slight preference still.

Loyola also prefers IL residents. They have you fill out a residency form as part of the 2ndary.

Mayo has a preference for in-state students. In-state for Mayo includes Minnesota, Arizona, and Florida. Tuition costs for students from those states is half of the already low tuition (less than $6,000).

Baylor favors Texas Residents

Originally posted by DW
dont forget jefferson too. also, jeff has some thing where they get money to reserve spots for 20 kids from delaware.

yup, you got it. they also have a special program where they favor residents of rural PA.

please note that most private schools with state funding are required by state law to accept a certain percentage of the class from the state they are located in. not to say that some schools don't worm their way around this..

OK, how about another comprehensive list of private schools that like in-staters:

Case Western
Dartmouth (spots reserved for NH and ME residents)
Drexel (slight, but the old MCP home page admitted to giving "special consideration" to residents of PA)
Emory (about 40-50% of class is from GA, by state mandate)
EVMS (70% in-state on average)
Jefferson (PA and DE)
JHU (very slight considering how much money they get from the state of Maryland)
Mayo (AZ, MN, FL)
MCOW
Penn State (40-55% of class from PA, also preference given to residents of neighboring states and of CA)
SLU (very slight for MO and Southern IL residents)
Temple
Tufts (but not hugely, about 25-30% of each class is from MA)
University of Miami (FL)
University of Pittsburgh (PA)
USC

These are all I know, the only private school I know of that definitely does NOT like in-staters is Vanderbilt.

rush definitely favors instate IL
only 30-40 kids are from out of state

But be careful discerning between actual med school favoring and a geographic matriculation bias. Say at school X in the southeast, they accept 5 people from each state. But then those with family ties to the area, friends nearby, went to undergrad in the area, etc, are FAR more likely to show up at taht school than someone from Seattle who went to UW. I'd say that unless a school specifically states in it's mission statement that they have a bias towards instate students, there isn't really any bias, just more locals prefer to go to "local" schools. --Trek

Originally posted by Trek
But be careful discerning between actual med school favoring and a geographic matriculation bias. --Trek

What Trek said was EXACTLY the reason why I started this thread. For instance, since about 50% of the students at Emory are in-state, I called them up and asked about their preference, but the lady I talked to told me that they don't favor in-state applicants; she told me that 50% in-state is just the way it turned up.

any new york schools BESIDES the SUNYs prefer in state????

Rush
Loyola
University of Chicago

Each gives varying degrees of preference to state residents based on the admissions info I have picked up over the years.

left out Baylor

Originally posted by Katie
yup, you got it. they also have a special program where they favor residents of rural PA.

please note that most private schools with state funding are required by state law to accept a certain percentage of the class from the state they are located in. not to say that some schools don't worm their way around this..

OK, how about another comprehensive list of private schools that like in-staters:

Case Western
Drexel (slight, but the old MCP home page admitted to giving "special consideration" to residents of PA)
Jefferson (PA and DE)
JHU (very slight considering how much money they get from the state of Maryland)
Mayo (AZ, MN, FL)
MCOW
Penn State (40-55% of class from PA, also preference given to residents of neighboring states and of CA)
Temple
University of Miami (FL)
University of Pittsburgh (PA)
USC

These are all I know, the only private school I know of that definitely does NOT like in-staters is Vanderbilt.

Originally posted by Ronin
What Trek said was EXACTLY the reason why I started this thread. For instance, since about 50% of the students at Emory are in-state, I called them up and asked about their preference, but the lady I talked to told me that they don't favor in-state applicants; she told me that 50% in-state is just the way it turned up.

that's actually why i said i think usc. i don't know for sure they favor in state but a lot of their acceptances are to cali residents. there are i'm sure tons of californians who apply there, but i'd guess quite a lot of out of state people who want to go to california apply there as well. i dunno...

Pittsburgh also tends to accept more PA residents. I think between 1/3 and 1/2 of their class is from penn.

perhaps a better way of measuring preference is to compare the acceptance rate for in-state vs. out of state.

For example, my state school, U of MN (Twin Cities) that stats (from US News) are:
in-state acceptances/in-state applied:0.165
out-of-state acceptances/out-of-state applied:0.0955

In-state/out-of-state accept = 1.73

So for the U of MN you stand a 73% better chance of being accepted if you are a MN resident. Shortly I'll be doing the same for a number of schools....

I know a little about Emory having lived in Atlanta for 13 years (and being accepted there).

I'm almost certain they have an instate bias. I once read on their website (or some other legit site) that they are required to have between 40-50% instate. If you compare it with their undergrad which is 20% from GA, the contrast is glaring.

I'm guessing they didn't tell you of the bias because it would discourage people from applying out of state. I know my AP chem teacher said her niece applied to Emory from some place up north about a decade ago, when Emory used to receive a ton of state money, and apparently she got a letter immediately saying she has been rejected because emory didn't accept people from outside the southeast. I'm guessing that it has slowly become more of a powerhouse in medicine and gotten away from state funding and can progressively elimininate seats.

Later,

Originally posted by NIYO2K2
I don't think University of Pitt is a private medical school.
That's correct.

Pitt is not a private institution.

2002, not published yet, 14X students, 42!!! from out of state). ...but there is a slight preference still.
Slight preference?

I would say that 71% of the Miami student body being in-state Floridians might indicate a more-than-slight preference... :eek:

I can be such an epi nerd sometimes....

If we just computer a straight-up odds ratio, I get the following for these schools:

BU: OR = 5.38
U of MN = 4.04
Pitt= 2.32
Mayo OR = 3.49
Dartmouth OR = 3.96
Case OR = 5.42

So, even at these "private" schools, you see that you often have a much greater chance of getting in if you are in-state. What I find interesting is that this in-state advantage is greater at many private schools than at my state school (U of MN-TC).

Note on how these were computed:
I just created a 2x2 table where the two factors were residency (in or out) and admission outcome (accept and not-accepted, computed by total applied-accepted).

For BU the numbers were:
not accept accept
in 487 79
out 7964 240

So the OR for BU is (7964*79)/(487*240) = 5.38
So you have more than 5 times the chance of admittance at BU if you are considered in-state than if you are considered out-of-state.

my bad, adding Baylor and WFU and removing Pitt:
also, Sunny is absolutely correct, many schools are NOT completely honest about the in-state bias. I have heard about Tufts' slight bias toward Mass. residents through the administrative grapevine, and if you look hard enough, many private schools will admit to at least a slight preference for in-staters.

Baylor
Case Western (60%+ via state mandate)
Jefferson (PA and DE)
Mayo (AZ, MN, FL)
MCOW
Temple
University of Miami (FL)
USC
Wake Forest University

These are all I know, the only private school I know of that definitely does NOT like in-staters is Vanderbilt. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's correct.

Pitt is not a private institution.

I don't think Drexel (formerly known as "MCP Hanneman") is private either!!

Slight preference?

I would say that 71% of the Miami student body being in-state Floridians might indicate a more-than-slight preference... :eek:

Originally posted by ScreamingTreesRule
I don't think Drexel (formerly known as "MCP Hanneman") is private either!!

drexel is, in fact, a private school

adcadet, where are the 95 % confidence intervals for those ORs? John Snow is rolling in his grave.

cant help but get SASsy on you :p

As far as New York schools.I have never heard of any of the private med schools give any special preference to NY residents,in fact most state that there is no preference for NY residents.On the other hand I have heard that SUNY Downstate and Syracuse may be accepting more out of state residents into their classes.

Originally posted by ny skindoc
As far as New York schools.I have never heard of any of the private med schools give any special preference to NY residents,in fact most state that there is no preference for NY residents.On the other hand I have heard that SUNY Downstate and Syracuse may be accepting more out of state residents into their classes.

Yeah that is definately confirmed, SUNY Syracuse no longer gives strong preference for NY students (i'm sure still a slight preference) and probably the same for downstate