Private practice 4 year residents vs. 6 year residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amalu6969

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has any 4 year resident encountered difficulty finding a job or have been told that preference is given to 6 year residents? I am debating between ranking 6 year programs over 4 year programs in the case that this might make a difference. I am looking to do only private practice and have no interest in academics.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Any difference in employment opportunities (between the two tracks) is negligible. There will be a few employers who prefer one track over the other, but the vast majority do not care. This is my understanding as a 3/6 resident.

Also, for the record, the vast majority of 6-yr graduates go into private practice.

Does it matter in a big city? Does having a single degree effect referrals?

Members don't see this ad :)
In observing an OMS residency, I noticed that the program director posted job listing letters on the cork board in the residents' room. Out of about seven letters on the board, only one indicated specific interest in dual-degree surgeons. It was a multi-specialty group full of other MDs seeking an oral surgeon to do full-scope, including orthognathics and cosmetics.

I have seen other people on this board indicate that the MD might be useful for referrals (that is, MD oral surgeons who believe their MD might have helped them get some referrals---though not in an arrogant way), while others indicate that is not true. In any case, I think the MD would be secondary to your ability to communicate and help the referring dentist understand the case.

Has any 4 year resident encountered difficulty finding a job or have been told that preference is given to 6 year residents? I am debating between ranking 6 year programs over 4 year programs in the case that this might make a difference. I am looking to do only private practice and have no interest in academics.

Thank you for your help!

Most of the four-year grads end up working at McDonald's, so I would recommend only the dual-degree pathway.

No but seriously, it doesn't matter.

Would having an MD help in big cities or not having one limit referrals for minor cosmetic procedures like fillers?

Last edited:
even if you want to do minor cosmetics like fillers/Botox, some states like California will require single degree Omfs to get a "cosmetic permit" from the board. With an MD, you have no restrictions.

To the OP. there is a new requirement by the board that if you want to be "board certified Omfs " you have to have operating privileges at a hospital. Usually that entails taking call etc. sometimes, having an MD will make getting those privileges a little easier and less restrictive.

Everyone will be pulling Medicaid teeth in the end big man!

Reactions: 1 users