Private Practice in NY vs. CT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fallen625

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating on whether to eventually start a small private practice (planning to see patients only ~1-2 days a week, as this won't be my main job), and debating CT vs. NY ( work in NY, but will live in CT or close to CT). Specifically, debating between Westchester and Greenwich (close to where we will live, we are currently looking at houses in both places) and NYC (where I work)... Would love any tips on how to make this decision, as this determines whether I will want to pursue licensure in CT (currently in the process of applying for licensure in NY, as I would like to have it there for my main job). Some things I am considering outside of commute that would love input on are potential profits/income, anything I should know about licensure requirements, and anything else I should consider.

Members don't see this ad.

What hours do you want to work in private practice (daytime, evening, weekend)? What kind if patients do you want to see (adults, children, male, female)?

What hours do you want to work in private practice (daytime, evening, weekend)? What kind if patients do you want to see (adults, children, male, female)?

Adult and older adolescents, both genders. Right now I am thinking daytime one day a week (including the evening) and/or a Saturday morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then I would opt for Greenwich or somewhere like Rye or White Plains if you don't feel like getting a new license. Somewhere close to the private schools would be a good bet.