Private Practice in your own home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sal Sero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the "old days," establishing a joint home-office was actually a pretty common way to set up an urban medical practice. The first floor, for example, would be devoted to the practice: waiting lobby, a couple of exam rooms, and the doctor's actual office - perhaps also a reception desk. The top floor would be his actual house. From what I've been able to gather, municipal zoning laws have seemed to contribute to the decline of this practice, but some doctors still know how to make it work.
Some pros: no commute, huge reduction in overhead costs (no longer have to maintain a separate office space and pay all the rent and other fees associated with that), and you can also claim some pretty big home-office tax deductions.
Some cons: You obviously can't live out in the suburbs, need a large initial investment to make sure your house is up to all health and safety standards (handicap accessible, large enough parking lot, complies with HIPAA, etc), and of course not every specialty can do it - eg) surgeons need an actual OR

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with experience in this type of practice who can talk about other pros and cons? Is this practice style only feasible for primary care specialties? Is it not feasible at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are buildings where 1st floor is commercial and upper floors are residential. It's doable somewhere. Some patients can be crazy and medicine can be a life and death thing. I know of a surgeon who was murdered by a patient who wanted what he thought to be revenge. I wouldn't do it. I don't think it saves that much money/ time vs living down the street if ur in an urban area anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
My pediatrician used to do this. I didn't even know it was his house until way after I stopped being his patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
My pediatrician did this as well, in Great Neck, NY. I grew up in a housing development where doctors and dentists would literally hang out their shingle in their front yard.

My pediatrician did this as well, in Great Neck, NY. I grew up in a housing development where doctors and dentists would literally hang out their shingle in their front yard.

I was in the New York City area recently, and in some boroughs this seemed relatively common.

I personally wouldn't want to do this, for safety concerns. I can imagine having some patients who I probably don't want knowing where I live.

Reactions: 2 users
In the "old days," establishing a joint home-office was actually a pretty common way to set up an urban medical practice. The first floor, for example, would be devoted to the practice: waiting lobby, a couple of exam rooms, and the doctor's actual office - perhaps also a reception desk. The top floor would be his actual house. From what I've been able to gather, municipal zoning laws have seemed to contribute to the decline of this practice, but some doctors still know how to make it work.
Some pros: no commute, huge reduction in overhead costs (no longer have to maintain a separate office space and pay all the rent and other fees associated with that), and you can also claim some pretty big home-office tax deductions.
Some cons: You obviously can't live out in the suburbs, need a large initial investment to make sure your house is up to all health and safety standards (handicap accessible, large enough parking lot, complies with HIPAA, etc), and of course not every specialty can do it - eg) surgeons need an actual OR

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with experience in this type of practice who can talk about other pros and cons? Is this practice style only feasible for primary care specialties? Is it not feasible at all?
You forgot-

cons: drug seekers knowing where you live

Reactions: 4 users
A friend's dad ran an IM out of his home growing up. It was in suburbia in the Northwest and he only had a secretary. He retired a couple years ago. I'm not really sure why he did it, but I imagine he dealt with a lot more paperwork and insurance crap than a larger practice with more admin staff.

What would be the benefit of this besides writing off half the home as a business expense? I don't feel like the savings would negate having your foyer look like a cheap waiting room...