Private practice job search - CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pasgasser2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting my CA3 year in less than a month and want to start sending out my CV, as the general wisdom from the class above me was that it is never too early to start looking. I've never been someone who was interested in research/publications and my priority has been to become the best clinician possible that can handle the worst scenarios. And so I've put most of my effort into studying/reading outside of the OR and becoming fast/efficient in the OR. Honestly that has kept me busy enough during residency and I put all the extracurricular activities (leadership positions, abstracts, posters, etc) to wayside the past 2 years.

My concern is that other than some youth mentorship activities at church, I don't have too much to add to my CV except that I completed residency at what would be considered a top 12 anesthesia program. I managed to get 95th percentile on the ITE but I don't think that really belongs in the CV nor do private practice really care for it.

For the purpose of being a more attractive private practice (hopefully partnership) candidate, do I need to be more intentional during my CA3 year about getting involved in research or going to conferences and presenting? Again I really don't have a great passion to do these things but also want to do what's necessary to be on par with my colleagues who are also interviewing for the same type of jobs.

Also, I am not looking to end up in a high profile location, I would be perfectly content in a less a populated area that would allow me to stay well-rounded and clinically sharp -general, OB, peds, hearts, etc

Appreciate any input and thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody in PP is gonna care about that crap. You will be coming from a “top” program so groups will assume you know how to provide an anesthetic. After that, landing a solid job is all about references.

“Hey, is this guy a solid dude?”

“Is he a hard worker?”

“Is he a non-bitcher?”

You get the point. Reach out via your program’s alumni network. That’s how you land a quality PP gig.

Reactions: 6 users
Nobody in PP is gonna care about that crap. You will be coming from a “top” program so groups will assume you know how to provide an anesthetic. After that, landing a solid job is all about references.

“Hey, is this guy a solid dude?”

“Is he a hard worker?”

“Is he a non-bitcher?”

You get the point. Reach out via your program’s alumni network. That’s how you land a quality PP gig.

But I'm guessing it's usually about who the employer contacts, and not the references you provide? Since i highly doubt you'll provide references that will say no to those questions.

Funny thing is i once sent out a CV with only relevant information (residency), and they asked for the rest of my CV cause the page was mostly blank, so i included stuff that were completely irrelevant (like raking leaves) from years ago just because there's nothing else to put on there.

Members don't see this ad :)
But I'm guessing it's usually about who the employer contacts, and not the references you provide?

Right. If you’re interviewing at an alumni network job, the group has already vetted you via their friends in the department. You probably wouldn’t even be offered the interview if they didn’t like what they already know about you.

The quality gigs court the rockstars. You don’t find us, we find you ;)

Reactions: 2 users
But I'm guessing it's usually about who the employer contacts, and not the references you provide? Since i highly doubt you'll provide references that will say no to those questions.

Funny thing is i once sent out a CV with only relevant information (residency), and they asked for the rest of my CV cause the page was mostly blank, so i included stuff that were completely irrelevant (like raking leaves) from years ago just because there's nothing else to put on there.

I recently looked at some CVs for our practice. The multi-pagers bored me and the "to the point...only covered 1/4 of the page" CVs told me exactly what I needed to know.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently looked at some CVs for our practice. The multi-pagers bored me and the "to the point...only covered 1/4 of the page" CVs told me exactly what I needed to know.

I agree, but sending along an intentionally half-empty CV is probably a bad idea. If I saw that I’d probably assume laziness and move to the next one. Keep the most important stuff at the top, but one shouldn’t be ashamed of his or her accomplishments.

Also it isn’t a personal statement or cover letter, it should be a quick read even if it’s over 4 pages.

I agree, but sending along an intentionally half-empty CV is probably a bad idea. If I saw that I’d probably assume laziness and move to the next one. Keep the most important stuff at the top, but one shouldn’t be ashamed of his or her accomplishments.

Also it isn’t a personal statement or cover letter, it should be a quick read even if it’s over 4 pages.

As a guy in your target type of practice:

You should have no issues filling one page. More than that is likely unnecessary. White space is ugly.
More than a one or two page CV is likely unnecessary for a new grad. Two to MAYBE three is probably plenty for someone with experience, since they probably have a job or two to add, plus some leadership stuff.

Add a section with state licenses, any prior leadership, etc. some people drop a list of references at the bottom, which would fill space.
A section with in training score >95% fills space and people will either not care or think it is great.
All your schools and training programs can easily be half a page.

In the end, the CV is mostly just giving people small talk topics, they care where you did residency and if the people they know there thought you were nice and decent.

We have a phone conversation with almost everyone who sends a CV, which means far more about whether an interview is needed or not.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be starting my CA3 year in less than a month and want to start sending out my CV, as the general wisdom from the class above me was that it is never too early to start looking. I've never been someone who was interested in research/publications and my priority has been to become the best clinician possible that can handle the worst scenarios. And so I've put most of my effort into studying/reading outside of the OR and becoming fast/efficient in the OR. Honestly that has kept me busy enough during residency and I put all the extracurricular activities (leadership positions, abstracts, posters, etc) to wayside the past 2 years.

My concern is that other than some youth mentorship activities at church, I don't have too much to add to my CV except that I completed residency at what would be considered a top 12 anesthesia program. I managed to get 95th percentile on the ITE but I don't think that really belongs in the CV nor do private practice really care for it.

For the purpose of being a more attractive private practice (hopefully partnership) candidate, do I need to be more intentional during my CA3 year about getting involved in research or going to conferences and presenting? Again I really don't have a great passion to do these things but also want to do what's necessary to be on par with my colleagues who are also interviewing for the same type of jobs.

Also, I am not looking to end up in a high profile location, I would be perfectly content in a less a populated area that would allow me to stay well-rounded and clinically sharp -general, OB, peds, hearts, etc

Appreciate any input and thoughts!

Interested in the SE region (Georgia)? We will be hiring in 2019.

Reactions: 1 users
Wisconsin hiring for July 2019! Send us your CV. The abbreviated one! If you like to fish hunt golf or brew beer, put that in your CV.

Reactions: 2 users
Not anesthesiology, but I have done enough hiring that I believe what people looking for in a CV is pretty consistent.

I spend about 15 seconds looking at the CV:
1) One medical school and graduated on time?
2) One residency and graduated on time?
3) How many prior jobs as a physician? Over what time period?
4) Where were all the above? If every one was on the other side of the country my concern is that we will put all the work into getting you hired and you will leave in 6 months.
5) With the above, who do I know that knows you?

The end.

I am willing to give a person one "mulligan" without concern. Your medical school graduation was delayed to December but everything else is fine? No problem. Switched residencies once? Fine. If all your training is in California and you are applying for a job in Alabama I may look at your cover letter, "my spouse is from Crawfish Bayou and we are moving back to her home town." OK, makes sense.

But, if it took you two medical schools and 6 years to graduate, you attended 3 residencies, and have had 5 jobs in two years (not locums) and I have never heard of any of those places, and they are 1500 miles away, then it goes to the bottom of the pile.

If your CV doesn’t fill the whole page just make the font bigger. We old farts will appreciate it.

Reactions: 5 users
I completed residency at what would be considered a top 12 anesthesia program

I have heard of someone claiming "top 5" or "top 10", but never "top 12". Didn't realize the rankings got that specific.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of someone claiming "top 5" or "top 10", but never "top 12". Didn't realize the rankings got that specific.

That’s what you say when you know you’re only 12th best.

Reactions: 6 users
Top 12 program? According to who? According to me, I went to the #1 program in the country...

Teasing aside, SaltyDog is right on as usual: quality groups will use the good 'ol alumni network to sniff out graduating talent. Usually, this network is strongest in the immediate vicinity of your residency which is great if that's where you want to be. Some of the most valuable assets in my job search were residents from the past few graduating classes. Send some emails and texts, make some phone calls, and make your plans known. Thanks to their help, I felt like I was able to get a good sense of who was happy at their job and who was hiring that year.

Your CV doesn't have to be long, just up to date and free from grammatical errors. Have it ready to send out ASAP, I was surprised at how quickly people started contacting me and my co-residents, it started in July. Also, start working on a cover letter in addition to your CV, some groups wanted one from me.

Top 12 program? According to who? According to me, I went to the #1 program in the country...

Teasing aside, SaltyDog is right on as usual: quality groups will use the good 'ol alumni network to sniff out graduating talent. Usually, this network is strongest in the immediate vicinity of your residency which is great if that's where you want to be. Some of the most valuable assets in my job search were residents from the past few graduating classes. Send some emails and texts, make some phone calls, and make your plans known. Thanks to their help, I felt like I was able to get a good sense of who was happy at their job and who was hiring that year.

Your CV doesn't have to be long, just up to date and free from grammatical errors. Have it ready to send out ASAP, I was surprised at how quickly people started contacting me and my co-residents, it started in July. Also, start working on a cover letter in addition to your CV, some groups wanted one from me.

what do jobs want to see in a cover letter...

what do jobs want to see in a cover letter...

Just a brief little bit about yourself and your training. A little bit about what you are looking for in a practice, and if you have any special interests in the field. You should also explain why you are interested in that specific area.

The purpose of the cover letter is to get somebody to look at your CV. The purpose of the CV is to get someone to offer you an interview. Keep it simple. Ask yourself what you would want to see/know if you were on the other end.

Just a brief little bit about yourself and your training. A little bit about what you are looking for in a practice, and if you have any special interests in the field. You should also explain why you are interested in that specific area.

The purpose of the cover letter is to get somebody to look at your CV. The purpose of the CV is to get someone to offer you an interview. Keep it simple. Ask yourself what you would want to see/know if you were on the other end.

Interesting.. seeing how short my CV is, it'd probably be way quicker to just look at the CV than to read the cover letter paragraph :laugh:

More of a noobish question, but what if you want to work in a different geographical area, and the interviewers may not know alumni or people at a particular program? Doing residency in NY, but looking to move back post residency to TX.

More of a noobish question, but what if you want to work in a different geographical area, and the interviewers may not know alumni or people at a particular program? Doing residency in NY, but looking to move back post residency to TX.

quit, apply to McDonalds..

Alumni networks isn’t the only way to get a job... figure out who the big players are in your area, and see if you know anyone or reach out to ask about potential openings.

Not really rocket science.