Private Practice, then OMS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joej9599

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would a year or two of private practice experience, working as a general dentist, impact an application for oral and maxillofacial surgery residency?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Zero help. Might actually hurt you more than help at some programs.

My general consensus is that being in private practice will hurt you at most programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply.

How would private practice impact one's competitiveness for oral surgery internships? I'm basically trying to figure out a way that I can remain in my present location following dental school, and unfortunately the area is without oral surgery programs- there's just a few GPRs/AEGDs and these, quite frankly, don't seem particularly helpful.

Could anybody explain why a year or two in private practice would make ones app less competitive?

Thanks.
I believe the concern is that if you went to private practice and matched into a residency you have an easy way out. Private practice is very lucrative and to go from make 120k+ a year to making about 55k could be hard for some. Unlike other residencies, losing a resident in OMFS puts a lot more work on all the other residents. Doing a pre-lim year in OMFS would help alleviate this problem, it shows that you know what you're getting into and also builds upon your knowledge base.

An OMS resident has the same way out...

I'm not sure it's a disadvantage to be private practice but I don't think it's an advantage, compared to doing something postgraduate like a PGY-1 or non-categorical internship.

It hurts. I was PP for 2 years and received a lot of heat on the interview trail. Still matched. The concern is that you've tasted the sweet nectar of how easy and well compensated PP is.

Reactions: 1 users
An OMS resident has the same way out...

I'm not sure it's a disadvantage to be private practice but I don't think it's an advantage, compared to doing something postgraduate like a PGY-1 or non-categorical internship.

As a guy who is on the other side of the table now at interviews, it hurts.

That's not fair actually. It doesn't always hurt. It just makes you answer more questions. It definitely doesn't help.

Reactions: 1 users
I think they want to see clear cut commitment to omfs...ie non-categorical year or two somewhere to show that no matter what you're going to be an oral surgeon. When you go private practice it shows that you're still part general dentist and are comfortable with that career to a certain degree. It sounds harsh but there are so many applicants and such high stakes for such few spots that program directors will shy away from someone who isn't 100% all in.

Reactions: 2 users