Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

private practice vs. working in a university hospital (income)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by WaitingImpatiently, May 24, 2002.

1. WaitingImpatiently

WaitingImpatiently Long Member
    7+ Year Member

I know that doctors make more in private practice, but how much more? Right now, I have my sights set on spending maybe 10-15 years in a large university hospital after my residency doing research and teaching, but if the $ disparity is HUGE, then I might rethink those plans. It's certianly early to be thinking about this now, but I'd like to see some numbers.

Thanks

2. Whisker Barrel Cortex

10+ Year Member

How big the difference is depends on your specialty. Internal medicine docs make a little less in academics, but not much (I estimate 130K vs 120K or something like that). Procedure oriented specialties like surgery, orthopedics, otolarygology have a somewhat higher difference in income. In some specialties, like derm or neuro, private docs can make a lot of money doing special procedure in private practice (like plastics stuff for derm and EMGs for neuro) that they can't in academics. I think one of the biggest differences is in radiology, with private practice docs making 250K-300K to start and academics starting around 150K.