Private practice with lifestyle focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Attending1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dream would be starting my own pp and working with people who are interested in nutritional and lifestyle interventions as well as psychotherapy. I would not be opposed to prescribing medications but it would not be my focus. I’m employed right now and I don’t see a demand for this from my patient population. This makes me question the feasibility of actually doing this. Any input appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Move to an affluent place with lots of health-conscious professionals. I'm sure tons of people would be lining up. Hell, you can start a whole partial program and fill the morning with exercise classes, yoga, nutrition/cooking followed by an hour of group therapy.

Why doesn't this already exist??

Reactions: 2 users
You won’t be the first. Recently met a psychiatrist doing just this (cash only) downtown. Mandatory to be in therapy with him to be considered for medication. Takes few patients as they are all 1+ hour therapy visits.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's practically the business model of Natropathic doctors, except they are also doing miracle infusions, too. Your competition will be largely ND, and DC, and the occasional FM/IM who has such a clinic.

In my area I've even seen a group of nothing but ARNP/FNP, with NDs.

It's practically the business model of Natropathic doctors, expect they are also doing miracle infusions, too. Your competition will be largely ND, and DC, and the occasional FM/IM who has such a clinic.

In my area I've even seen a group of nothing but ARNP/FNP, with NDs.
I wouldn’t be doing testing of hormones/heavy metals/nutrients that naturopaths do. I would be offering psychiatric services that emphasize nutrition, exercise, psychotherapy but utilize medications.

You won’t be the first. Recently met a psychiatrist doing just this (cash only) downtown. Mandatory to be in therapy with him to be considered for medication. Takes few patients as they are all 1+ hour therapy visits.
Is he busy/successful?

Move to an affluent place with lots of health-conscious professionals. I'm sure tons of people would be lining up. Hell, you can start a whole partial program and fill the morning with exercise classes, yoga, nutrition/cooking followed by an hour of group therapy.

Why doesn't this already exist??
Yeah my patient population is definitely not affluent.

Tell us more. What does this vision look like? The nutrition emphasize, the exercise, and therapy approach? Help me understand how this practice will be different than a simple private practice?

I wouldn’t be doing testing of hormones/heavy metals/nutrients that naturopaths do. I would be offering psychiatric services that emphasize nutrition, exercise, psychotherapy but utilize medications.

Huge demand. We do this in our residency clinic that has a 2 month wait. Seems like your employer is about the low hanging high volume, which makes sense since they have to pay themselves and you.

Tell us more. What does this vision look like? The nutrition emphasize, the exercise, and therapy approach? Help me understand how this practice will be different than a simple private practice?
This wouldn’t be radically different than a simple private practice. I would be incorporating dietary approaches (keto, elimination, anti-inflammatory) as well as focusing on incorporating exercise as a treatment or preventative. Someday I would love to study yoga myself and incorporate that.