Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ng269722

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts/opinions about a Psychologist and Licensed Mental Health Counselor in private practice together? What are the pros and cons of this combination? Business wise and clinically?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is a good partnership especially in states like Wyoming where mid-level clinicians need to be supervised by a psychologist to provide services to patients with medicaid and medicare.

What are your thoughts/opinions about a Psychologist and Licensed Mental Health Counselor in private practice together? What are the pros and cons of this combination? Business wise and clinically?

Thanks!

Just to preface, I have no business sense whatsoever - but isn't this kind of a redundant practice? Both of you can provide fairly equivalent psychotherapy services as least as far as the general public is concerned.

If I ever got into a group practice of some kind, I would want to work with a (gero)psychiatrist or geropsych. NP to manage meds, and an LCSW to help with systems issues - I can't see how adding an MFT or LPC / LMHC would do anything more than cannabilize my own services.....

But again, I don't know much about running a private practice.