PhD/PsyD Private practices with providers from unaccredited programs?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by throwaway543210, Jul 5, 2018.

1. throwaway543210

Hi, I made a throwaway for this because it may come off as a little controversial.

I was browsing private practices in the area to refer a client to and came across one that a former colleague works for. I am doing a practicum at a non-profit clinic that's popular with students from my (very reputable) program so I always kind of brushed aside the fact that she got her degree from an online only program that rhymes with "shmafella." Given the fact that there are a lot of clients and we have a long waiting list, I always brushed aside the fact that this person didn't have a great degree because people need services. However, I just found out that they are now working for a private practice doing forensic evaluations for child services. Their CV is posted on the website and they seemed to do a lot of assessment-based practica at local private practices during their time in this online program, but is it ethical for her to do forensic evals (aka would they stand up in court if someone challenges their education)? I work on a research project involving ethics of forensic assessment but no one can really give me a straight answer.

I mean, sure one learns a lot while in practice, but this person's classroom experiences are completely online. It doesn't sit well with me. The practice has plenty of others from great doc programs on their staff, but this person with an online degree sticks out to me like a sore thumb.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. smalltownpsych

Psychologist

Psychologist
    If they are a licensed to practice psychology in their state, then the school that they went to is not really relevant to whether or not they can do specific types of evaluations. Can their credentials be challenged in court? Of course they could, but so could anyone else. Having credentials challenged as an expert witness is not the same as unethical practice.

4. throwaway543210

They have a permit, but assuming that they receive supervision and meet their hours, they'll be fine to be licensed. I thought more states required APA accreditation for licensure, but I guess not.

Also, it's just weird to me that anyone would hire someone with an online degree. Even if the online degree was from an accredited school.

5. Sanman

Sanman O.G.

Psychologist
    When you graduate, you will find what works in ethics class and what works in the real world are two entirely different things. Private companies/practices are often willing to hire anyone that qualifies and is willing to do the work. Bottom line and all that. That said, this person likely will not work at the VA or an academic institution. They also may not be making top dollar for their work. Whether they can do the work or not will be determined by court. Either they can or they will flame out.

PSYDR likes this.
  6. temppsych123

Post Doc
    The weird part to me about what you're describing is that the practice is cool with letting someone who is not yet licensed, and who is still under supervision, do forensic evals. That means, should an eval get challenged, the person doing the eval (who is still being supervised) AND their supervisor are potentially on the hook for malpractice/ethics complaints if things are not done appropriately.

7. psych.meout

Pre-Psychology
    I know a physician who is one of the top performers in terms of billing for a large hospital network, but the only way they are able to achieve this is by having nurses and PAs do all their patient notes, labs, returning calls to patients about said labs, etc.

Maybe I'm overly cautious or risk averse, but I'd rather make a bit less money than risk my license and livelihood.

8. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist

Psychologist
    At least in my area, the state child court eval positions pay like garbage. So, they may have hired this position because no one from a halfway decent program would take it because they probably had much better options.

9. throwaway543210

This is actually quite common. I don't want to say too much because my research can easily identify me, but I've read a ton of evaluations as part of it and many hospitals and agencies have doctoral externs doing forensic evaluations. Everything is signed off by the extern and licensed supervisor.

They pay pretty well in my state, so many private practices do these evaluations.

10. WisNeuro

Psychologist

Psychologist
    In my area, some positions with the state for these evals have opened in the past few months and are paying around 60k. Eww.

11. throwaway543210

Ohhhhh, see child services in my state contracts evaluations out to private providers. So they pay for a certain number of hours to do records, interviews, testing, and writing. It usually pays about $120/hour.

12. WisNeuro

Psychologist

Psychologist
    That's not bad, as long as you have benefits (insurance, 401k/403b, etc) coming in from another source.

13. throwaway543210

Most of them do. Common practice in this state for newly licensed folk is to work at a hospital, community agency, university, or school full time and then keep a side practice to do these evaluations. There are also group practices that do these evaluations too, usually with two to three providers specializing in forensic assessment.

14. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist

Someone might say that this is an excellent opportunity to make a crapton of money.

15. BuckeyeLove

BuckeyeLove Forensic Psychologist
    Psychologist

Psychologist
    Psych assistants are a private practice's best friend. A friend of mine has a Muni court contract near me. Does 400 plus competency and/or sanity evals a year. (not including all his other private eval work). You really think dude is sitting down with all of them for 2 plus hours getting background data and asking about how their relationship is with their biological mother?

psych.meout likes this.