Private school bias on SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bokermmk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at the new rankings helped me recognize what a bias that posters (myself included) have for private schools. Mayo, Pritzker, and Case Western get about 10x more threads than the higher ranked UNC. Why does Mount Siani get more love than UAB? Boston University more than Iowa? Rochester more than Colorado? Georgetown more than Indiana? In each of the above cases, the state school is ranked higher. I am not saying rankings are everything but there is a clear bias on this forum to favor private schools. There is an exception to this rule though. California schools are definately looked upon favorably by SDN members (at least the one's who post). Even the low ranked Irvine and Davis get a lot of pub.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe these public schools don't like out of staters?

I think its simply a function of more people applying. Case is private and thus students from all over the US apply, generating more interest on boards like this. UAB and UNC takes nearly all in state, and thus has a smaller app pool, producing less *tangible* interest nationwide as reflected in these forums.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
Maybe these public schools don't like out of staters?

B-I-N-G-O. :idea:

Someone should start a "Private school bias in life" thread.

Hey some private schools aren't talked about a lot also like Loma Linda. It's all about where most people apply.

Originally posted by Blade28
Not me! Public state school for both college and med school!

Me too. I only applied to Stanford and UofM aside from UC schools for undergrad.