Private Schools Taking Out-of-Staters....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUmiken12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is probably a stupid question for most of you, but I've gotten both answers so I'm gonna ask all of you. Do private med schools favor taken people in-state or not? Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of private schools favoring in-staters. :confused: But what do I know? It's my first time applying. You could look in the MSAR or on PR's site where you can find info on all the medschools -- they break down the applicants, interviews and admits by in and out of state for each school.

it depends on the school - some private schools still get some state support and so are required to favor in-staters to continue getting it...the MSAR is your best reference for each schools policy

some do some don't. Of private schools I know about, case western gives some preference to ohio residents (they reserve 60% of the class for them), u chicago gives some slight preference to Ill residents, baylor gives a pretty strong texas preferance (~75% of class). Other schools like vanderbit and hopkins (and I'm sure many many more) I know do not give any preferance.