SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Private Schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Roxy76, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Roxy76

Roxy76 Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Does anyone know of any good private schools that take mainly out of state applicants?
    I was told to apply to a few private ones, just incase I don't get accepted to the ones in my state. Thanks in advance for all the help! :) :)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ricegirl

ricegirl Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Houston, TX
    roxy76,

There aren't that many private schools - here are some that I thought of: UoP, Loma Linda, USC, Howard, BU, Harvard, Tufts, Nova, Creighton, NYU, Columbia, Case Western, Temple, and Meharry.

you should get the AADS requirements book if you don't have a copy (or otherwise visit your health professions office if you don't want to buy it). In it you will find how many out-of-staters they take and all the stats you could ever want! Most private schools state on their application that they do not take residency into account, so you are on equal footing as all other applicants.

ricegirl

4. Roxy76

Roxy76 Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Thanks so much for your advice. I have that book. But I noticed some people talking as if some of the private schools still gave preference to residents. I only have 3.0 gpa, do you think I stand a chance applying to a private school?

5. ricegirl

ricegirl Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Houston, TX
    i don't think there is really a straight-forward answer.

1- it depends on the strength of the rest of your application (recs, extracurriculars, DAT scores).

2- what schools you are looking at? I would suggest applying to schools that have a large class size (like NYU and USC). it never hurts to apply - although I am a newbie like you, I'm not sure how much I can help you. I think that the big hurdle with lower gpa's is getting past the initial cut and being invited to interviews. once you're at the interview, you can wow them with how fantastic you are! ;)

your state school is probably going to show you a lot more love than any out-of-state school, public or private. My state schools has a max acceptance of 10% out-of-state! needless to say, you have to be a stellar applicant to get into that 10%.

I was not aware that private schools showed prefence to certain residents, but I only checked for the schools that I was interested in applying to (mostly public).

I'm not sure if I addressed your question... but I hope I helped you out. :) It's getting late and my brain is getting fuzzy.

ricegirl