Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Private Student Loans in Today's Financial Climate

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by bee3615, Dec 5, 2008.

1. bee3615

2+ Year Member

like every pre-dental student out there, i spent every waking moment agonizing over whether i was going to gain any acceptance. Now that i have four, and i have the luxury of picking :love:...the next hurdle is student loans. my question is if any1 knows what private loans look like now (availability and # of hoops to jump through), especially for international students with co-signers :confused:.....do u also think it'll be easy to start paying back in 2013?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dds chgo

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Loans will be harder to get. Go to the cheapest school you can. Nothing worse than putting in one or two years and not getting funds for next semester. Grants and scholarships will also be drying up as benefactors quit donating, especially at private schools.

4. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think you can get something on the order of 48,000 through federal loan programs.

5. bee3615

2+ Year Member

i know, but i'm an international student :scared:

6. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They are out there. It is good that you have a cosigner in the US though as that improves your chances of getting a loan.

Answering your question about whether it would be "easy" to start paying back your loans in 2013 you won't have a choice, but fortunately in dentistry you have no residency and can make better money from the start.

7. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's hard to predict. I know that some private loans are getting harder to get. I had a friend getting an online MBA and initially her loan renewal for 2009 was refused, until she got a cosigner. If the economy improves next year, the loan situation could be better.

In your situation (can't get subsidized US federal loans) I would consider going to one of the cheaper schools on your list of 4, assuming the education seems relatively equivalent. I think if you have a cosigner you'll be able to get the loans though.