Private undergraduate education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjcw9887

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do students who receive private undergraduate education (Top 50 Universities in the US) have an upper hand on getting into dental school than those who go to a state university?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I did fine just going to the top public university in the state. I feel like if you are intelligent, you will do well wherever. I'm happier I came here than paying a ton for a private school.

yes an upper hand in only one aspect: grade INFLATION

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah and grade inflation is known about by adcoms. It's almost unheard of for a Harvard grad to have less than a 3.3 GPA so adcoms weight the GPA accordingly. This screws over the Harvard grads because I am sure they worked their butt off to get that GPA, it's just that everyone at Harvard is just like them and nobody will accept getting a C in a class.

The truth is that if you are book smart enough to be accepted to a top private institution, you should be street smart enough to realize you are much better off not going there. Go to a public university, save a lot of money, be surrounded by normal people, have fun, and if you can get good grades (which isn't that hard at state universities) you will stand out much more than someone with a 3.7 at Harvard (which is considered average for that school and thus not exceptional due to the perceived grade inflation) and thus be considered just as much if not more than anyone from a private college.

Grade inflation is known about by adcoms but is really not much of a factor whatsoever. There are alot of public colleges in every state that hand out A's like candy. Find those schools in your state and go to them. Private schools are not worth the extra tuition.

Don't go to a school just because they give out easy A's. Your education is what you make of it. Go somewhere where you will enjoy being there. It will make a big difference if you are pretty active while at school rather than hating your decision.

i sort of agree with above comment pick somewhere u'll be happy (its hard to concentrate when ur sad trust me lol)..yet going to a school that is impossibly difficult can make life hell..pick a good balance between the 2

It just ended up that going to a private college was cheaper for me than going to my state college. I didn't know about grade inflation! So if i were to get a lower GPA than someone at a state college, then my chances of getting in would be lower? =(

I think I did fine just going to the top public university in the state. I feel like if you are intelligent, you will do well wherever. I'm happier I came here than paying a ton for a private school.

yes an upper hand in only one aspect: grade INFLATION

Yeah and grade inflation is known about by adcoms. It's almost unheard of for a Harvard grad to have less than a 3.3 GPA so adcoms weight the GPA accordingly. This screws over the Harvard grads because I am sure they worked their butt off to get that GPA, it's just that everyone at Harvard is just like them and nobody will accept getting a C in a class.

The truth is that if you are book smart enough to be accepted to a top private institution, you should be street smart enough to realize you are much better off not going there. Go to a public university, save a lot of money, be surrounded by normal people, have fun, and if you can get good grades (which isn't that hard at state universities) you will stand out much more than someone with a 3.7 at Harvard (which is considered average for that school and thus not exceptional due to the perceived grade inflation) and thus be considered just as much if not more than anyone from a private college.

Grade inflation is known about by adcoms but is really not much of a factor whatsoever. There are alot of public colleges in every state that hand out A's like candy. Find those schools in your state and go to them. Private schools are not worth the extra tuition.
Haha, I take it you all went to state schools. There is nothing wrong with either. Our class is made up of about 50/50. I went to a private school and we did not have grade inflation. Yet, we also didn't to bell curves, which I know certain schools do. And yea, that sucks and is unfair. If everyone in the class made A's, you made an A. if everyone made C's,we b!tched that it was a hard test, but we got C's. No curves, no inflation, no deflation. A lot of private schools also use different grading scales. For example, 100-94 was an A (4.0). 93-90 was A- (3.7). 88-90 was B+ (3.3) 85-87 was B (3.0) 80-84 was B- (2.7). I don't think one has an advantage over the other and yea they are expensive, but they have their advantages. Smaller faculty: student ratio (8:1-10:1) which allow for close relationships with professors, small classes which encourage student based discussions. Yea, they are expensive, but if you can afford it, it is worth it.
I have nothing bad to say about state schools, just thought I would come support the private schools

Haha, I take it you all went to state schools. There is nothing wrong with either. Our class is made up of about 50/50. I went to a private school and we did not have grade inflation. Yet, we also didn't to bell curves, which I know certain schools do. And yea, that sucks and is unfair. If everyone in the class made A's, you made an A. if everyone made C's,we b!tched that it was a hard test, but we got C's. No curves, no inflation, no deflation. A lot of private schools also use different grading scales. For example, 100-94 was an A (4.0). 93-90 was A- (3.7). 88-90 was B+ (3.3) 85-87 was B (3.0) 80-84 was B- (2.7). I don't think one has an advantage over the other and yea they are expensive, but they have their advantages. Smaller faculty: student ratio (8:1-10:1) which allow for close relationships with professors, small classes which encourage student based discussions. Yea, they are expensive, but if you can afford it, it is worth it.
I have nothing bad to say about state schools, just thought I would come support the private schools

I agree. I think people make way too big of a deal about what school they go to. Intelligent people will be intelligent no matter where they go. There are opportunities everywhere. College is definitely what you make of it. At interviews I've seen a huge mix of schools, states, etc. Just go where you fit in, can afford, and think you will enjoy.