private vs. public pharmacy school which would you prefer? tell us your story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinki

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think private school tend to provide us additional help if we are struggle with academic right? WHile public school class size is huge, the professor only know us by our SSN and it's hard to get a hold of your intructor

Members don't see this ad.

i disagree -- especially in pharmacy school ... everywhere I've interviewed at seem to have about the same class size (~120) ... and all of the professors seem to know most, if not all of their students ...

... if you're looking at undergrad schools, it may differ ... but if you know where to look, you should never have any trouble finding extra help when needed ...

i disagree -- especially in pharmacy school ... everywhere I've interviewed at seem to have about the same class size (~120) ... and all of the professors seem to know most, if not all of their students ...

... if you're looking at undergrad schools, it may differ ... but if you know where to look, you should never have any trouble finding extra help when needed ...

I don't think so. When you went to your interview does it seem to you that your interviewer know your file by heart?
I don't believe all pharmacy school have 120 size. My school have currently a size of 65 or lower and some other school I know have less that 100. and they are all private.

Members don't see this ad :)
the size depends on the school. Michigan a public school has a class size of about 70. Midwestern in chicago, is private with a class size close to 200

Public schools are usually cheaper for instate is a big deciding factor, cheaper tuition means I do not have to rent some sh*thole. My entering class will have about 85-90 students, I think that is average class size. The private school in Oregon has the same class size and is planning on increasing their class size in the coming years to 120 I think, i could be wrong on that number.
My pharmacy advisor knows my file in and out and also many personal things about me. I am sure there are bad advisors at public and private institutions.

It all depends on the school, class size varies greatly among private schools and it varies greatly among public schools. When it comes to professional school, it is all about what FITS best for you. What approach to curriculum works best, what campus environment you like and what kind of class sizes you work best in. Anyone who tries to tell you, you will get a better education at a private school over a public or vice versa without talking about specific schools has an agenda or is just dumb.

When you graduate all that matters is that piece of paper that says PharmD, it doesn't matter if you went to State or private....

The schools I interviewed at all seemed to encourage faculty/student interaction. Most said they are more than willing to go out of their way to help if you are struggling. I don't know if that's just advertising or if that is fact. But considering class sizes vary greatly it's hard to say how personal the attention will be from one school to the next. The only reason LLU is at 65 is because they have not attained full accreditation yet. They intend over the next several years to increase to ~80. Besides some schools still share lectures with other health students. At least in early years. Anat/Phys, Biochem, etc can be taken with Dental/MD students. This further increases student/teacher ratios. Just because you have a small PharmD class doesn't guarantee cozy classrooms with undivided attention. I'd say research the schools. It's a good question to bring up with a student interviewer or with the post interview student Q/A if one is provided. They had that at OSU/Western/USC though the format varied at each school.

I think private school tend to provide us additional help if we are struggle with academic right? WHile public school class size is huge, the professor only know us by our SSN and it's hard to get a hold of your intructor

Who cares as long as I get in anywhere :)

at the interview for a public school, both interviewers knew my file by heart (scary and impressive) so I disagree that private schools are better than public schools.

Personally, I prefer public schools. Many private schools have affiliations (whether they advertise it or not). Not that public schools don't - all kinds of stuff happens when people throw money at schools. But private schools tend to have institutional affiliations (religious, philosophical or otherwise). I don't like that. I don't think it would be a good environment for me.

Now somebody's going to say, "I go to a school affiliated with <blank> church and I hardly know I'm at a church sponsored school." Good, I'm glad. And I'm glad that those institutions exist. The Jesuits, for example, do amazing things for their communities. But, I would know because I'm senstitive that way. :)