Private vs. Public Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherMD2Be

Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently a freshman at a 4-year SUNY school. I am thinking of PA/MD but leaning MD. Basically, I have a few medical schools picked out, such as SUNY upstate, Stonybrook, Albany, UVM, UBuffalo. I am from the Albany area and would love to go to school there but I don't really want to take out a lot of loans on a private school. Does anyone know what the average financial aid awards are like at Albany? And what those who have applied to any medical school think about the cost/worth of a private vs. public school?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Anecdotally, I have gotten some pretty weak financial aid packages from instate schools. While private schools may have a higher sticker price, that likely won't be the price you pay after grants/scholarships. Don't write off schools now just because they may look more expensive on paper. Keep your options open and, if you are lucky enough to have multiple acceptances, look at cost after you have your financial aid packages.

Reactions: 1 user
Below is a quote from an Albany vs. Stony Brook thread--Albany Medical vs. Stony Brook

Albany Tuition= $63,204 without Financial Aid
Albany average debt coming out=$185,000

Stony Brook Tuition= $29,530 without Financial Aid
Stony Brook average debt coming out=$147,500

Reactions: 1 user