Pro/Anti Vaccination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lol, did you even read the chart??? The only things which were able to be confirmed were anaphylaxis (allergic reaction, duh) and death in patients known to be immunocompromised (who probably shouldn't have received vaccines in the first place). The only one that has anything to with serious neural implications is guillan-barre syndrome, and if you read the fine print in the chart says on page 5, later research found those findings to be false after this chart was published.

Nothing in that chart suggests CNS effects, at all. If you want to see a legitimate source for your argument look at the edit I made to the previous post. Even then, the frequency of the adverse affect should be negligible compared to the overwhelming positive effects gained from vaccinations.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly only one set of readings in bioethics has already taught me that professional ethics in medicine is in contradiction with the fundamental orientation of helping people.

Wait until people start sharing their opinions, things can get very interesting, very quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The point is that you cannot claim that there are no side effects and that they are utterly and completely safe as others have argued. My argument here remains that there are risks and it is up to the individual to decide.

And that individual can look at the 'risks' and decide not to vaccinate their kid. That doesn't make them any less of an idiot.

Reactions: 2 users
You downplay the risks when they have been very significant. The OPV is not a safe vaccine. Its use has been stopped in the United States because it causes polio and potentially paralysis. People did not know this for the decades it was used. We found this out after the fact.

It is being used extensively in India now and the rates of polio induced paralysis have skyrocketed.

How do you argue that that is no big deal?

Once again, your reading comprehension fails you. I said earlier that the vaccine you're talking about was an exception and hasn't been used in the U.S. for decades precisely because it had adverse affects. It was utilized because it was cheap, when the gov found out it was dangerous they discontinued it here. I honestly didn't realize any countries still used it, and am pretty shocked to hear that. However, that doesn't change the fact that the commonly mandated vaccines used in the U.S. have been proven time and time again to have an overwhelmingly positive net effect with extremely rare instances of severe adverse effects.

Additionally, what are you sources for your statements on India's polio rates? I'd like to see some actual data before I can accept that statement.

Last edited:
That may be one of the more painful stories I've read on here in a long time...

Because allowing those children to not be vaccinated not only affects those children and their families, it can affect the general public as well. The first person to die of measles in 12 years was an immunocompromised woman in Washington state who had been vaccinated. This was a case that was 100% preventable if the patients she had encountered in the hospital where she contracted the disease had been vaccinated. So do you charge those people with reckless homicide? Because if they had been vaccinated it is extremely likely they never would have contracted the disease in the first place meaning the woman would have never been exposed to it and died. Essentially their autonomy killed that woman.

I'll say this is one of the very few cases that I have wrestled with in terms of my personal beliefs, possibly the only situation, where an individuals autonomy may need to come second to the greater needs of society.

I can already tell you're going to love your bioethics course...
It is still unlikely that any given unvaccinated person will infect someone else and cause serious illness.

I don't see a rare event being enough to override the fundamental bioethical guideline of respect for patient autonomy. Once we start ignoring that in favor of the "greater good" (whatever that means) then we find ourselves on very shaky ground, particularly as physicians.

And I'm a third year now so unfortunately no more bioethics courses but you're right - I enjoyed that material during the preclinical coursework.

Last edited:
You downplay the risks when they have been very significant. The OPV is not a safe vaccine. Its use has been stopped in the United States because it causes polio and potentially paralysis. People did not know this for the decades it was used. We found this out after the fact.

It is being used extensively in India now and the rates of polio induced paralysis have skyrocketed.

Yes at this point if there is a correlation and not just a n=1 scenario, then it is a risk.

In India polio is on the verge or eradication because of OPV, don't forget that part. Again another benefit vs. risk scenario. It is cheaper and more easily administered. The benefits are far more radical over there than here because of the prevalence of polio. Your right there should be efforts to put IPV in place, but this will only be realized once there is more government action and IPV is cheaper.

@Allen18328

You really think that today there isn't extensive testing done on vaccines before they're released to the public that don't include double-blind studies? You sound like someone that doesn't understand the process required to get a new treatment legalized and FDA approved in this country. Yes, there were issues in the past, and the OPV is a perfect example of something which was not monitored scrupulously enough. However, science has come a very, very long way since then, and the vast majority of drugs and vaccines have been extensively tested and proven to be safe and effective. All one needs to do is simply look at the rates of infection and death from those diseases before vaccines and after, and have the smallest shred of logic to understand how much of a positive impact they've had.

I'll end our little exchange with this. Every comment you've made has sounded like something I've heard a million times from the typical anti-vaxxer. Though I always appreciate questioning and searching for deeper answers, there comes a point when you cross a line from questioning what is accepted to simply being combative. So far you've attempted to cherry pick pieces of information to suit your argument, twist the words of others, and read into things that were never stated and aren't there. You've tried to support your arguments with bad data and anecdotes and use n=1 arguments to make sweeping generalizations. Those tactics may work when trying to convince uneducated, ignorant, emotionally driven individuals, but when you're talk to a group of objective scientists who are educated on the subject, you better bring better arguments than spotlight fallacies and straw men.

It is still unlikely that any given unvaccinated person will infect someone else and cause serious illness.

I don't see a rare event being enough to override the fundamental bunethical guideline of respect for patient autonomy. Once we start ignoring that in favor of the "greater good" (whatever that means) then we find ourselves on very shaky ground, particularly as physicians.

And I'm a third year now so unfortunately no more bioethics courses but you're right - I enjoyed that material during the preclinical coursework.

I agree my example was N=1, but if you look at the data, many of the diseases that are easily prevented with vaccinations are on the rise again. Specifically in areas with large populations that chose not to get vaccinated. While it may be a rare event now, if a significant percentage of the population weren't vaccinated, it wouldn't be rare anymore.

This is why I've struggled with this point so much. I'm somewhat of a libertarian at heart, and personal autonomy is something I consider to be a quintessential right of individuals. I almost see it as an unwritten law of nature (because other than societal constructs, what really prevents us from doing what we please/need). I've managed to consolidate these conflicting views through this idea: when one chooses to perform an action which can directly impact the autonomy and well-being of another then they are neglecting their ethical obligations. Drunk driving is a perfect example of this. If a person wants to get drunk and then drive, then they can choose to do so. However, if they choose to do this and then proceed to kill another individual while doing so, they are ethically in the wrong because they have directly infringed (and in this case completely destroyed) upon the autonomy of another individual. So the only reasonable course of action to prevent this is to not drive drunk. The same goes for vaccines. If a person chooses not to be vaccinated, and then becomes ill, infects another, and does permanent damage or kills that other, then the former non-vaccinated individual is responsible for what happened to the latter person.

I agree that we cannot ethically force someone to be vaccinated. However, this does not change the fact that by choosing not to be vaccinated, they are potentially taking the responsibility of other individual's lives and well-being.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure why you linked a study for P-value, but by small linkages these studies are acknowledging the fact that some of the ingredients used in the vaccines are toxic and can be related to some sort of bodily hard in very small amounts of cases. They have a court system set-up just for this process. Just because the link is "small" doesn't mean it is statistically insignificant. I am saying that when you weigh the risks and benefits, vaccines win with ease.

i dont think you understand what a p-value actually means lol

Allen, have you thought about pursuing a career in naturopathy instead?

i dont think you understand what a p-value actually means lol
Do you have nothing better to do than ridicule my posts? You quote me and make a smart a** remark on one thread and here you do it again. Yes, I know exactly what a P-value is. Do not insult me with your immature shenanigans.

Do you have nothing better to do than ridicule my posts? You quote me and make a smart a** remark on one thread and here you do it again. Yes, I know exactly what a P-value is. Do not insult me with your immature shenanigans.

if you are going to make an idiotic statement like, you will get called out. you are trying to get into med school and you can't even grasp the concept of p-values and significance in research.

if you are going to make an idiotic statement like, you will get called out. you are trying to get into med school and you can't even grasp the concept of p-values and significance in research.
Have anything constructive to contribute to the argument? Once again, a new kid on the block chimes in with insults. Keep the coming, I am enjoying this.

Members don't see this ad :)
you're so cute when you get defensive
I think you are a very creepy individual who has nothing constructive to offer. I also think you like to roam these boards and post about insignificant topics. You are toxic to the people on these forums and you show no respect for your peers. If you wanted my honest opinion. Now, you can quit quoting my posts. I think we all get the fact that you don't like what I have to say.

I think you are a very creepy individual who has nothing constructive to offer. I also think you like to roam these boards and post about insignificant topics. You are toxic to the people on these forums and you show no respect for your peers. If you wanted my honest opinion. Now, you can quit quoting my posts. I think we all get the fact that you don't like what I have to say.

correcting misinformation is very constructive. you just can't handle criticism.

Really?

http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?pid=S0042-96862002001100017&script=sci_arttext&tlng=enen:
"In the past, India would annually register some 200 000 cases of polio "

"The World Health Organization's (WHO) Technical Consultative Group (TCG) on the Global Eradication of Poliomyelitis has suggested a rate of 1 case of VAPP per million births and has estimated the annual global burden of VAPP to be approximately 120 cases (4). Under these circumstances, India's share would only be 25 cases, based on the annual birth cohort of 25 million. The observed number of 181 cases indicates that the actual risk is 7 times the expected number (4)."

http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/210/suppl_1/S380.short:
"If the analysis is limited to estimates from countries that currently use OPV, the VAPP risk is 3.8 cases per million births (range, 2.9–4.7)..."

So no, paralysis rates have declined significantly. India pre-OPV had ~200,000 WPV related paralysis cases per year (around 500-1000 cases of infantile paralysis daily), there are now ~200-500 VAPP related cases per year WORLDWIDE. India (and many other countries) went from hyper-endemic levels of PV to essentially complete interruption of WPV transmission; in fact, I can't find any case of WPV in India since 2011.

I'd also like to point out that the eradication process is multiphasic. First comes OPV administration since IPV can't prevent WPV replication in the intestines. This first step has resulted in a near complete elimination of WPV in India since 2011. Phase 2 includes the roll-out of IPV to eliminate VAPP/VDPV cases and should begin in October 2015 (http://indianexpress.com/article/in...-polio-vaccine-to-be-introduced-from-october/) .

I don't see a rare event being enough to override the fundamental bunethical guideline of respect for patient autonomy. Once we start ignoring that in favor of the "greater good" (whatever that means) then we find ourselves on very shaky ground, particularly as physicians.

I guess disney land just never happened huh.

You do realize that many of the "outbreaks" that have occurred recently affected VACCINATED individuals, right?

Are you aware that studies have been conducted showing that the flu vaccine may in fact increase your chances of getting the flu?

Whether you do or don't it doesn't really matter. I'm signing off. The point is that there are many risks to vaccines. There are also a great deal of unknown risks, short term and long term. Somebody who is educated on these risks and comes to the conclusion that they do not want to be vaccinated is not stupid just because you disagree.

Ugh, yes I do realize that. You do realize that that many of those vaccinated individuals are immunocompromised in a way that the vaccines are not effective for them, right? And that the only way to protect those individuals from becoming infected is to either isolate them from potential contagions, or develop a strong enough herd immunity to remove the virus from that populace, right? And that the points your making have extremely obvious counterpoints, right?

I'm not even going to address your statement about the flu vaccines, as I've seen many of the studies and pretty much every one I've seen was poorly conducted or drew conclusions from data that couldn't support them. You've made too many statements here that are both ridiculous and false for your word to have any credibility without providing good evidence to back them up.

To address your final statements. Yes, there are some adverse affects to most vaccines. The VAST majority of them are either very mild and temporary, or are extremely rare. The few vaccines that do have higher incidents of side effects are for diseases that are both extremely dangerous and only received if traveling to certain parts of the world (like Yellow Fever). There is not a "great deal" of unknown risks, and anyone that has taken the time to sit down and actually educate themselves on the subject by looking at legitimate data instead of just postulating possibilities can easily recognize that the net outcome of getting vaccinated is overwhelmingly positive, on both the individual and societal level. To fully comprehend that information and still say that vaccines are too dangerous to get is not just being ignorant, it's being willfully ignorant, aka stupid. So no, I'm not saying that someone who does not want to get vaccinated because of the potential dangers is necessarily stupid, they may just be ignorant. But I have very little tolerance for willful ignorance, and if that is the position someone takes, I can have no respect for their opinions on the matter.

Really?

http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?pid=S0042-96862002001100017&script=sci_arttext&tlng=enen:

"The World Health Organization's (WHO) Technical Consultative Group (TCG) on the Global Eradication of Poliomyelitis has suggested a rate of 1 case of VAPP per million births and has estimated the annual global burden of VAPP to be approximately 120 cases (4). Under these circumstances, India's share would only be 25 cases, based on the annual birth cohort of 25 million. The observed number of 181 cases indicates that the actual risk is 7 times the expected number (4)."

"If the analysis is limited to estimates from countries that currently use OPV, the VAPP risk is 3.8 cases per million births (range, 2.9–4.7)..."

So no, paralysis rates have declined significantly. India pre-OPV had ~200,000 WPV related paralysis cases per year (around 500-1000 cases of infantile paralysis daily), there are now ~200-500 VAPP related cases per year WORLDWIDE. India (and many other countries) went from hyper-endemic levels of PV to essentially complete interruption of WPV transmission; in fact, I can't find any case of WPV in India since 2011.

I'd also like to point out that the eradication process is multiphasic. First comes OPV administration since IPV can't prevent WPV replication in the intestines. This first step has resulted in a near complete elimination of WPV in India since 2011. Phase 2 includes the roll-out of IPV to eliminate VAPP/VDPV cases and should begin in October 2015 (http://indianexpress.com/article/in...-polio-vaccine-to-be-introduced-from-october/) .

Thank you for that, it was nicely described. I wanted to refute Allen's statements, but I didn't have the time or energy left to gather that info, and I wasn't about to defend a position I didn't have the data to back up. Be warned though, you're dealing with someone who uses the same logic to argue as anti-vaxxers. Only frustration lies ahead.

Honestly, there is no need to defend vaccinations. The anti-vaccine side proposes an unsubstantiated view that is in contradiction to logic.

The fact that people actually believe that a vaccine, which is no different than any other exposure to a virus or bacterium is somehow going to cause nervous damage is absurd. It's an issue of hysteria and external blame for faulty genetics. People are always trying to blame disease manifestation on all sorts of things, whether it's swamp gas, minority groups, demons, and now vaccines, people are always trying to blame something or someone to make themselves feel better about how life dealt them a bad hand.

Reactions: 3 users
Really?

Kind of lazy to look up the info myself, but you nailed it. The benefits are extremely radical and it is good to see IPV being put in.

Disney land affected something like 80% adults or vaccinated children. Unvaccinated kids were not the problem there. But hey, keep taking everything you hear on the news at face value.

Are you saying that 80% of the cases were vaccinated or that 80% were adults or vaccinated children?

I'll just leave this info here-
http://emergency.cdc.gov/han/han00376.asp

The median age of case-patients: 16.5 years

"Of the 52 outbreak-associated cases, 28 (55%) were unvaccinated, 17 (31%) had unknown vaccination status, and 6 (12%) were vaccinated. Of the 6 cases vaccinated, 2 had received 1 dose and 4 had received 2 or more doses. Among the 28 unvaccinated cases, 5 were under age for vaccination. "

Given that over half were unvaccinated (over 80% unvaccinated/unknown vaccination status) and the median age I'd say your 80% figure is made up... kind of like the skyrocketing rates of "polio induced paralysis".

And just to head off any potential argument regarding the 6 unvaccinated cases-
http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-anti-vaccination-trends-vex-herd-immunity-1423241871

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/vaccinated-people-get-measles-disneyland-blame-unvaccinated/

Last edited:
I'll just leave this info here-
http://emergency.cdc.gov/han/han00376.asp

The media age of case-patients: 16.5 years

"Of the 52 outbreak-associated cases, 28 (55%) were unvaccinated, 17 (31%) had unknown vaccination status, and 6 (12%) were vaccinated. Of the 6 cases vaccinated, 2 had received 1 dose and 4 had received 2 or more doses. Among the 28 unvaccinated cases, 5 were under age for vaccination. "

Given that over half were unvaccinated (over 80% unvaccinated/unknown vaccination status) and the median age I'd say your 80% figure is made up... kind of like the skyrocketing rates of "polio induced paralysis".

And just to head off any potential argument regarding the 6 unvaccinated cases-
http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-anti-vaccination-trends-vex-herd-immunity-1423241871

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/vaccinated-people-get-measles-disneyland-blame-unvaccinated/

You're absolutely destroying this kid.

Accept the total number of cases reached well over 147........

I like how you mislead with old numbers. Typical tactic.

Kind of how you mislead with complete BS?

Also *except*, at least use good grammar if you're going to use crappy arguments.

Hardy har har. When all else fails catch a typo....

Complete BS = a CDC published chart showing causal relationship between several vaccines and death?!

We already established that you either misread the chart or simply chose to ignore what it actually said, specifically in the footnotes which were crucial to proper interpretation. At this point I not only don't believe a word you say, I don't believe you know how to interpret data or discern credible studies/sources from BS.

You've proven time and time again there's no reason to hold a legitimate scientific discussion with you in regards to vaccines. Honestly, I'd consider yourself fortunate that someone earning a degree in epidemiology, I'm talking about Vespasian, is taking the time to hold your hand through this thread instead of just writing off your stupidity.

My biology teacher told me he was against vaccines, right then I decided to find a different teacher to do research with.

Except the total number of cases reached well over 147........

I like how you mislead with old numbers. Typical tactic.

Actually, I simply provided confirmed case-patients linked directly to Disneyland (which is what we were discussing). I would caution against using the ~150 figure when discussing the Disney outbreak since the source of initial exposure has not been identified in many cases. However, if you want to include potentially associated cases... Of the 159 cases of measles in the US possibly associated with the Disneyland outbreak (but possibly unassociated) in 2015 (Dec '14 until April '15) the CDC reports that: "The majority... were either unvaccinated (71 [45%]) or had unknown vaccination status (60 [38%]); 28 (18%) had received measles vaccine.".

If we extend our discussion to all of these measles cases to get closer to your number we find an unsurprising fact; you were wrong again. Of the "well over 147" cases only 18% were confirmed to be vaccinated, compared to the 45% who we know weren't. Would you like to revise that 80% figure? How about that huge increase in polio AFP?

It's funny that you took someone to task over taking the news at face value but you're touting a case figure that gained traction via popular news outlets and contradicts the CDC.

Last edited:
There are a ton of PhD's, MD/DOs, etc who do not support mass vaccinations.
Several physicians and physicians in training have flatly refuted the opinions you peddle as fact... Many, many reproducible studies have also done the same.

It has been a common theme in this thread and many others to write off any alternative perspective as "stupid" or "uniformed".

I've noticed a common theme in your posts- a dearth of facts and proof and a whole lot of opinion.

That's a PhD professor you're talking about? Don't you think maybe he knows something that you might now? My Biochemistry professor studies viruses. He gets vaccinated and vaccinates his kids for most diseases, BUT he stated himself that they are problems with some of them.

The issue is not as cut and dry as most are trying to make it. They can be dangerous. There are problems with them. There are a ton of PhD's, MD/DOs, etc who do not support mass vaccinations. These people are not uneducated or clueless. Many just don't speak openly because they don't feel like being ostracized.

It has been a common theme in this thread and many others to write off any alternative perspective as "stupid" or "uniformed". Then the vaccines that have been proven to be harmful are always the "exceptions".

You'd be shocked at how many MDs or DOs are completely uneducated outside of their specialty, or even at certain aspects within their specialty that aren't in their sub-specialty. Even so, the number of them that would agree with you are a minuscule minority, just like the number of people who believe the Earth is flat or those who believe the Holocaust never happened. No one has written off an alternative perspective that has legitimate support or doesn't have adequate research. No one on here said that vaccines don't have problematic side effects, or that they are 100% safe. Stop twisting the argument and putting words in other people's mouths, and stop pretending to know what you're talking about. Seriously, you're worse than the *****s on Fox News and MSNBC.

If you're so adamant that you're correct, why don't you make you're way to the resident forums and post your opinions in the pediatrics or epidemiology thread and see what happens. If you think you're getting harsh responses here, you'll get buried in seconds by people who deal with nuts like you on a regular basis.

Edit: So your biochem prof says there are problems with vaccines, yet he still chooses to have his kids vaccinated? Hmmmm, I wonder why that would be...

Last edited:
Quote from Serenade ---- Let me rephrase and inject some sanity into this post. Do you want to get measles and actually have a risk for inflammation of the brain or do you want to get 3 doses of a shot that has no utterly no risk of damage?

Quote from Stagg727- No one on here said that vaccines don't have problematic side effects, or that they are 100% safe.

Why don't you quote the post that Serenade made which says vaccines don't have problematic side effects and that they are 100% safe.

All I see is a statement about the measles vaccine and an assessment of potential neurological side effects... Not a statement on all vaccines or all potential for side effects. You either read something different or didn't understand what he wrote.

There are a ton of PhD's, MD/DOs, etc who do not support mass vaccinations.

Stop making up garbage. I have not met an MD or DO who does not believe in vaccinations.

OP wanted to pick our brains...

Are-You-Not-Entertained-Gladiator.gif

If I was to go into peds I would refer those who don't believe in vaccination elsewhere. I have very strong convictions about it and I wouldn't put anyone who is too young to have the vaccine or immunocompromised that can't have it at risk in my waiting room from someone who just refuses to vaccinate their child.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree that we cannot ethically force someone to be vaccinated. However, this does not change the fact that by choosing not to be vaccinated, they are potentially taking the responsibility of other individual's lives and well-being.
That seems reasonable.

Please, just stop. The OPV was stopped because enough immunosuppressed people are alive nowadays that from a public health standpoint, it's better to use the IPV.

And repeating over and over "but there's a risk!" in the context of vaccination and adverse outcomes is like saying "every time you go outside, there's a risk you may be hit by a meteorite." This is an insipid truth. All medical interventions have adverse outcomes. But it's pointless to say to parents "there's a 1 in million chance that you might die from this", because the odds of you getting run over in the hospital parking lot are greater.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
And if somebody wants to stay inside to avoid a meteorite that's their prerogative. Likewise, if somebody does not want to get vaccinated it is also their right.

That is the only argument I am posing. When the situation is not risk free you you cannot fault someone for choosing the other option.

Except electing not to vaccinate yourself when you are able to based on a negligible risk of side effects doesn't just impact your health. There's this new thing to consider called public health.

While you have the luxury of deciding that you don't want to roll the dice on a less than 1 in 1,000,000 chance of having a side effect there are people out there that don't have that luxury. My niece was a preemie, her immune system doesn't give her a choice. There was also a time when my child, the being most precious to me, didn't have a choice. So yeah, I can fault someone and call them selfish for their choice when that choice risks others unnecessarily.

I'm sure the average anti-vaxxer has no qualms about hopping in their car during a thunderstorm and hitting up McD's despite the 1 in 84 chance of being in a car accident (in your lifetime) and a 1 in 12,000 risk of being struck by lightning during a thunderstorm.

I would have to agree that it is selfish. The anti-vaccination argument reminds me all too well of the anti-GMO movement. Arguing against the masses, "Big Pharma", "Major Corps.", and I think the biggest issue is people want to feel accepted in a group so that is there way of making that happen.

Many anti-vaccination proponents tend to have little to no scientific background whatsoever. I started this post originally because I have a "friend" who loves to flaunt his conspiracies and he posted an article on Facebook depicting all of these harmful chemicals and whatnot within vaccinations. Little did he know, to his arrogance, 3/4 of the studies were done by the same scientist (which would lead me to believe this is one biased SOB), and 2 studies had been retracted for falsifying and excluding statistical evidence. This is what makes me go crazy; not necessarily the fact that people don't WANT to vaccinate, but when they actually try to persuade others because of their pseudo-scientific bulls**t. If you want to believe some nonsense, fine, but keep it to yourself. Maybe the herd quantity will save your ass or maybe Darwinism will erase you from this earth in a timely manner before you cause others anymore harm.

And if somebody wants to stay inside to avoid a meteorite that's their prerogative. Likewise, if somebody does not want to get vaccinated it is also their right.

That is the only argument I am posing. When the situation is not risk free you you cannot fault someone for choosing the other option.

If that's the case, then I think the doctor should not be at fault in refusing the care of someone unvaccinated. There is more risk in them exposing patients to measles for instance than a person having an adverse reaction to the vaccine.

Your argument is invalid because one end of your analogy is creating a public health risk that is completely avoidable. Also, your strategy of posing a completely outlandish theoretical scenario as analogous is not a very good one.

There have been some on the news very recently. They are out there.

They speak for a tiny fringe.

If you don't want to get vaccinated, you will not be allowed to have patient contact, and a career in healthcare is not for you. BTW Children also have a right to be protected from suffering and disease (and idiot parents).

Then stay at home and don't complain when others also exercise their right to refuse you health care or have any contact with you

Quote from Serenade ---- Let me rephrase and inject some sanity into this post. Do you want to get measles and actually have a risk for inflammation of the brain or do you want to get 3 doses of a shot that has no utterly no risk of damage?

Congratulations, you found one statement I made that had one point that could be perceived as wrong if taken in the wrong context. Well done. Do you want me to post everything you've said that has been shot down as bs? Because I could probably fill an entire page with it.

Anyway, here's an excerpt from the CDC. Notice the bold, underlined, italicized part at the end.

MMR vaccine side-effects
(Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)

What are the risks from MMR vaccine?
A vaccine, like any medicine, is capable of causing serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions.

The risk of MMR vaccine causing serious harm, or death, is extremely small.

Getting MMR vaccine is much safer than getting measles, mumps or rubella.

Most people who get MMR vaccine do not have any serious problems with it.

Mild Problems

• Fever (up to 1 person out of 6)
  • Mild rash (about 1 person out of 20)
  • Swelling of glands in the cheeks or neck (about 1 person out of 75)
If these problems occur, it is usually within 7-12 days after the shot. They occur less often after the second dose.

Moderate Problems

• Seizure (jerking or staring) caused by fever (about 1 out of 3,000 doses)
  • Temporary pain and stiffness in the joints, mostly in teenage or adult women (up to 1 out of 4)
  • Temporary low platelet count, which can cause a bleeding disorder (about 1 out of 30,000 doses)
Severe Problems (Very Rare)

• Serious allergic reaction (less than 1 out of a million doses)
  • Several other severe problems have been reported after a child gets MMR vaccine, including:
    • Deafness
    • Long-term seizures, coma, or lowered consciousness
    • Permanent brain damage
    These are so rare that it is hard to tell whether they are caused by the vaccine.
Before you chime in with the "well it's still possible!!" argument, I'll just say of course it is. That's why phase 4 trials continue to document adverse affects after any drug or vaccine is put on the market. So we can have a better understanding of the extent of the effectiveness and its safetly profile. And FYI, these trials are ongoing for every FDA approved drug on the market, so your potential argument of "well they should do those studies for vaccines" are also invalid.

LOL, are you delusional or do you just have a 5 second memory? You've made numerous claims other than that including that OPV is causing more cases of polio than it's curing in India and that Wakefield never proposed that vaccines caused autism (I'll include a little excerpt from his retracted paper which shows he inferred exactly that). And yes, you absolutely fault someone for choosing an option that is not risk free if the other option carries far more significant risks, especially if those risks extend beyond themselves.

I'll say this, I'm not bashing you because of what you proposed. I'm not bashing you because you were wrong. I'm slamming you because you continually choose to defend a viewpoint that has been shown through overwhelming amounts of evidence to be blatantly wrong. In spite of countless attempts to show you legitimate data and studies, you still refuse to admit you're wrong about anything! You just find some point that you can take out of context and try to twist the argument to make yourself right, which you almost never have been here. This is not the thought process of a scientist. This is the thought process of millions of self-righteously driven individuals who support cause X because it's just what they believe. This thought process is not only a dangerous one for a physician to have, it's flat out unacceptable.

FINDINGS:
Onset of behavioural symptoms was associated, by the parents, with measles, mumps, and rubella vaccination in eight of the 12 children, with measles infection in one child, and otitis media in another. All 12 children had intestinal abnormalities, ranging from lymphoid nodular hyperplasia to aphthoid ulceration. Histology showed patchy chronic inflammation in the colon in 11 children and reactive ileal lymphoid hyperplasia in seven, but no granulomas. Behavioural disorders included autism (nine), disintegrative psychosis (one), and possible postviral or vaccinal encephalitis (two). There were no focal neurological abnormalities and MRI and EEG tests were normal. Abnormal laboratory results were significantly raised urinary methylmalonic acid compared with age-matched controls (p=0.003), low haemoglobin in four children, and a low serum IgA in four children.

And the actual article: http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(97)11096-0.pdf

Read the final paragraph on page 640 where he explicitly states "the combined measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine (rather than monovalent measles vaccine) has been implicated." in reference to a cause of autistic disorders.

Last edited: