Pro athlete transitioning to medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_who2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have taken a somewhat unique road to get to med school, so I am posting in this sub-forum. If this is the wrong place, my apologies.

I have been out of undergrad for two years and have been playing a professional sport for those two years. Due to a variety of injuries, I am going to be "retiring" (can I even say that at my age?) in order to pursue a career in medicine.

I was a physics major in undergrad (top 5 school), so I have completed all of the required coursework in physics and math. However, I haven't taken any of the biology or chemistry requirements. Am I better of taking these classes separately or should I apply to formal post-bacc programs? Will these programs just allow me to skip the math/physics portion?

I appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

depends on your GPA. Can't say without knowing. If it was high, say >3.7, then I'd just take them as individual courses

I don't think it has anything to do with you prior gpa, either option will work for the purposes of completing the required classes for medical school. Many formal post bacs require students to complete all of the courses in their program. You can contact the programs you are interested in to see if they will let you replace physics with another biology class. You can do an informal post bac at almost every public/private university and community college. Both options have and continue to work for non trad students. The choice is whether you want to pay the premium for what the formal programs offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Referring to yourself as "unique" in this forum just means you are posting before you do any reading.

Reactions: 1 user