Pro vs digital pics for secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How will yall get the picture taken

• Go to a photographer

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • print my own out with my digital camera

Votes: 55 75.3%

• Total voters

pratik7

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are yall doing for the picture requirement for the secondary??

Members don't see this ad.

I went to CVS wearing jeans and a suitjacket and tie. Cost about $12 for all the pictures needed!

pratik7 said:
what are yall doing for the picture requirement for the secondary??

I'm sending in a naked picture of Brad Pitt and saying that's me. What about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
skypilot said:
I went to CVS wearing jeans and a suitjacket and tie. Cost about $12 for all the pictures needed!

digital camera + wolf camera prints = $1

assumingu have access to a digicam

LOL :laugh: :laugh:

I don't know... his stats are kinda borderline... he doesn't have all that many EC's...

... But Damn does his pictoral portfolia that he sent in with his secondary look great! I say accept him without the interview! :laugh:

Seriously though.

I used a digital camera, loaded my photo-session into Adobe Photoshop, and "touched it up"

... no more blemishes, acne, and you can take your skin a few shades darker...

Who know maybe they might think you're an URM after the darkening and accept you because of the photo? :confused: ;) :rolleyes:

i'm actually going for the professional treatment for two reasons: i don't have a digital camera or a very good grasp of adobe photoshop, and i never got any of those "senior pictures" in high school--so i really don't have any nice, recent pictures of myself at all. when my parents offered to foot the bill, i was sold.

i was talking about needing to take pictures for secondaries and what not, & my friend says "Oh so do you want this coupon I have for glamour shots."
Umm, you think if I do that it'll help? cause I was just gonna do some boring passport/visa type shots

Why do they want pictures? Is admission based on looks? Hmmm...my cousin went to Yale med and posed in Playboy......hmmmmm

I got a passport photo and then went to Wal-Mart and used one of those Kodak machines to make a sheet of wallet size photos. Turned out well...

i actually just ordered a load of extras of my senior pics....though i have taken some time off so those who are currently in school couldnt exactly do that but it was my easiest route!

What schools require a picture? I was not prepared for this!

Do most schools require this?

monopolova said:
What schools require a picture? I was not prepared for this!

Members don't see this ad :)
so far all of the secondaries i have seen [ahem, all 3 of them] have req'd pictures - i think its primarily to identify that you're you at the interview

Ames980 said:
so far all of the secondaries i have seen [ahem, all 3 of them] have req'd pictures - i think its primarily to identify that you're you at the interview

Were your secondaries online? I know for a fact that mine will be.

Oh every school not only requires pictures, it is one of the key criteria from which an ADCOM will gauge your potential. It is common knowledge that good looks are highly correlated with a competent and emotionally confiding physician. Your omnipotent pre-med advisor did not disclose this with you? Well I guess it is privileged knowledge, shoot don't let anyone know I told you! With that in mind, if you do not already have a portfolio, I would head straight to the professionals and come up with one. The key with this is to show some variety ? a few actions shots mixed with some interesting poses that really express yourself. Work with the camera and you will be fine?.NO!!!

Do not worry about something as trivial as this. ?Oh NO?Hmmm I spent all these hours on secondaries but my pics?.??Put on a relatively nice shirt, have a friend take a picture or two, print them out, cut, done. Worked for me?or should I say what I did and was not even important. Frankly, if you are worrying about this you are going to stroke out, get an ulcer, or have an aneurysm before you are done with this process. I am in serious concern for your health here. Take a deep breath, you will get through this. During your interview, are you going to worry about your slightly misformed big toe? This is how insignificant your picture is to your ?total application??just to put a face to your name, keep track of your application, jog an ADCOM memory or two?that?s all it is?

The pics can be in normal clothes, we don't have to wear jacket and tie do we?

Last year at least one school (Mount Sinai) requested that you e-mail a copy of your secondary photo, so going the cheap digital route has other advantages.

FWIW I brought a digital shot into Kinko's and got a sheet of "photo quality" pics for <$2. Trust me on this - this is one of those things that you'll stress out about now, but when the process is over you'll look back and wonder why you wasted the smallest bit of mental energy on it. Assuming you don't use some bizarre S&M photos, it's not going to make any difference.

TTSD said:
I'm sending in a naked picture of Brad Pitt and saying that's me. What about you?

Oh lala! I think you'd get some top notch acceptances with that one :)

littleroo said:
I advise against glamor shots. Unless you want that hazy, out of focus, over the shoulder wearing a feather boa look. :D

LMFAO...I'm just picturing the expression on the admission committee's face as they read through the app and then stumble across this glammed up photo :laugh:

lissa1217 said:
my cousin went to Yale med and posed in Playboy

sign me up!

"so, why do you want to go to yale?"
"well i was hoping to run into some playmates and..."

i didn't even know people thought about getting snazzy pictures. people, just crop a head-and-shoulders photo and be done with it, please.

I used some extra senior pics I had. I look the same and they're nice enough headshots.

Umm... well I dressed up in a shirt and tie and took a picture of myself using a digital camera on my CELL PHONE!!!

Lets just say the picture quality isn't the greatest (blurry but u can still distinguish my face). Anyways, I went to kinkos and they were nice enough to put a whole bunch on one page, ended up paying 4 bucks for 24 pictures ;)

I cropped a digital photo taken of me during graduation. Its cheap, easy, and serves its purpose.