Probability and Statistics for Quantitative Reasoning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeps005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me a source that outlines what exactly we have to know about probability and statistics for the QR section of the DAT. I bought the Kaplan material from a friend but the section that covers QR doesn't have anything on probability or statistics but on the ADA site it says that the QR section does cover that:

http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/scope.html

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go with what the ADA site says.

In regards to probability and stats, you just need to know general concepts. Such as problems where colored marbles are removed from a bag in a certain order.

Gavin once again is right on.

For all you who are reading this post, there will be a Red, Blue, and White Marble question. I'm sure you all have seen a sample of this type in the Kaplan book, and its very typical to see on the DAT. If you aren't sure of what I'm talking about heres a sample i just made up:

If there are 12 red marbles, 8 blue marbles and 9 white marbles what is the probability of pulling a blue marble twice in a row without replacement?

Get the idea? If you don't see a marble question you'll see one on Dice.

Using 2 regaular six sided dice, what is the probability of Johnnie Walker rolling snake eyes? (double 6's).

Not so bad, right? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
as for the quant section on the DAT... Kaplan books are not good enough... in order for the Kaplan to work.. you have to be able to get access to the testing.... thats where ppl have problems... assuming that the utilization of just one aspect of Kaplan is good enought.. but it isn't ... you really need to go into the center and religiously work on the practice exams... over and over again... check out this book... i find it pretty good... its the "how to Solve word problems" series on math problems... its pretty good... one thing i notice is that the DAT had a good number of word problems... that utilize simple math but could throw you off... remember Math is the last section... and by the time you hit that section ...you're all burnt out... so get prepared. Don't get too wrapped up with complicated math.... Probability and Stat questions can be answered using simple math.... just get the math down.... i hope this helps... later

The answer to the colored ball question, in terms used by those of us blessed in math:
(using combinatorial notations)
(8) (21)
(2) (0)
---------- = 0.0689655
(29)
(2)

But the simple math way to do it is to say
of 29 total balls, I can pull one of 8 blue balls;
then, of 28 total balls, I can pull one of 7 blue balls:
Thus
8 7 56
-- x -- = ----- = 0.0689655
29 28 812

Use the simple way for all given math problems, unless you majored in math or engineering.

BTW, if Johnny Walker rolled "snake eyes", then he rolled double-ones; double-sixes is called "boxcars".

:laugh: