Probability of getting into an MD program on my undergraduate campus?

Jul 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If I transfer to a university with an MD or even a DO program on campus are the chances of getting into that program? Would my chances be better of worse for acceptance?

Prilozack

2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2016
Wherever Your Heart Palpitates
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If I transfer to a university with an MD or even a DO program on campus are the chances of getting into that program? Would my chances be better of worse for acceptance?
Depends on many factors.

ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I say better, assuming you were a good student and got good grades/recs.

If you were a bad student or racked up IAs or something, then probably much worse.

Reactions: Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
If if's Brown, then chances are good.

Every other school...totally depends.

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
If if's Brown, then chances are good.
Every other school...totally depends.
Brown's PLME program only accept's students directly from high school. The other half of the med school tend to be non-traditional and older applicants to offset the younger PLMEs. Because Brown's class size is already super small to begin with, the chances are probably pretty low comparably.

Your best shot at getting into med school is being at a school where you go get the best GPA. Unless the school is a HYSPM tier school, it becomes less important where you go. Some med schools like BU actually don't really take any of their undergraduates because they have a pretty terrible premed program.

redferrari

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You might draw interest from the school because they would think you're likely to go there if accepted, but you have to be competitive to begin with, like anyone else applying.

Brown's PLME program only accept's students directly from high school. The other half of the med school tend to be non-traditional and older applicants to offset the younger PLMEs. Because Brown's class size is already super small to begin with, the chances are probably pretty low comparably.

Your best shot at getting into med school is being at a school where you go get the best GPA. Unless the school is a HYSPM tier school, it becomes less important where you go. Some med schools like BU actually don't really take any of their undergraduates because they have a pretty terrible premed program.
I have actually heard of this being pretty commons