Wererew

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey guys! I need some more explanation to get to the correct answer, 1/8.

This is what I got so far, I thought the answer was 1/2 *1/2 = 1/4 because theres a chance of hemophilia,son = 1/2 and cb,son = 1/2 from each.

The question asks (from Bootcamp) :

A color blind man without hemophilia (both X-linked traits) marries a woman who is a carrier for both traits. What is the probability they will have a son with both color blindness and hemophilia? Hemophilia and color blindness are unlinked genes.

I didn't understand their solutions that "the man must donate the Y chromosome (1/2 probability), the woman must donate Xh (1/2 probability), and she must also donate Xc (1/2 probability). We just multiply these chances together to find (1/2)(1/2)(1/2) = 1/8."

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 12
May 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I'll try to run it down in a short summary, but I think the 'Further Details' explanation on this one goes into a lot more detail.

The man is color blind and without hemophilia. The mother is a carrier for both traits. The question wants probability of:

1. Having a son
2. The son having color blindness
3. The son having hemophilia

We have to account for all three of these outcomes. The probability of having a son is (1/2) - that would be the chance of the father passing on his Y chromosome rather than his X chromosome (otherwise they'd have a daughter).

Next is the more confusing part: we're told the mother is a carrier for two X-linked traits: hemophilia and colorblindness. Does she have color blindness on one of her X chromosomes and hemophilia on the other X chromosome? Or does she have hemophilia and colorblindness on the same X-chromosome? There's a 1/2 probability of either outcome. If they are to have a child that has both color blindness AND hemophilia, we have to assume that it's the latter - she carries both colorblindness and hemophilia on one X-chromosome - there's a 1/2 chance of that being the case. There's no other way for the son to inherit both conditions, since they're X-linked.

Finally, if we know she has both conditions on one X-chromosome, that means her other X-chromosome is unaffected. If their child is to have both conditions, it means he has to inherit the affected chromosome rather than a normal one - there's a 1/2 chance of that.

So three major probabilities we consider:
(chance of having a son) * (chance that mother carries both conditions on one X-chromosome) * (chance that the son inherits his mother's affected X-chromosome)

= 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2
=1/8

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Wererew

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'll try to run it down in a short summary, but I think the 'Further Details' explanation on this one goes into a lot more detail.

The man is color blind and without hemophilia. The mother is a carrier for both traits. The question wants probability of:

1. Having a son
2. The son having color blindness
3. The son having hemophilia

We have to account for all three of these outcomes. The probability of having a son is (1/2) - that would be the chance of the father passing on his Y chromosome rather than his X chromosome (otherwise they'd have a daughter).

Next is the more confusing part: we're told the mother is a carrier for two X-linked traits: hemophilia and colorblindness. Does she have color blindness on one of her X chromosomes and hemophilia on the other X chromosome? Or does she have hemophilia and colorblindness on the same X-chromosome? There's a 1/2 probability of either outcome. If they are to have a child that has both color blindness AND hemophilia, we have to assume that it's the latter - she carries both colorblindness and hemophilia on one X-chromosome - there's a 1/2 chance of that being the case. There's no other way for the son to inherit both conditions, since they're X-linked.

Finally, if we know she has both conditions on one X-chromosome, that means her other X-chromosome is unaffected. If their child is to have both conditions, it means he has to inherit the affected chromosome rather than a normal one - there's a 1/2 chance of that.

So three major probabilities we consider:
(chance of having a son) * (chance that mother carries both conditions on one X-chromosome * (chance that the son inherits his mother's affected X-chromosome)

= 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2
=1/8

Thank you Feralis. I was doing a "random biology test" and further details weren't included with those so I missed reading that

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads