Probable Re-applicant, LizzyM 73. 5WL, 0A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparky1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm currently gearing up for the next cycle, so any advice you may have would be much appreciated!

Stats:

• Male, Caucasian, early 20's
  • Graduated May 2015, Engineering, mid-west school
  • Cumulative GPA-3.83
  • Science GPA-3.85
  • MCAT (2 attempts, 2013, 2014)-32 and 35
  • CA resident
EC:
  • Multiple undergraduate leadership positions, including philanthropy-oriented positions
  • Lab research for two years with a publication (not first author) accepted August 2015
  • Standard pre-med shadowing (approx. 100 hours over two summers while volunteering)
  • Tutor and TA positions for multiple classes (approx. 450 hours total)
  • Various academic honors and awards
  • Volunteering over the summers (sophomore and junior year) with geriatrics programs affiliated with my local institution (approx. 280 hours total)
Post-grad (was able to include in some secondaries and all interviews, but had not started at the time of submission):
  • Working full time (40 hours per week) with the geriatrics programs I volunteered for, combination of clinical and administrative work based around patient and caregiver interactions.
  • Currently working with one of my mentors on a review article regarding one of his research projects, expected submission in July.
2015-2016 school list (20 schools, 19 secondaries, 5II, 5WL):
  • UCSF (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • UCLA (II, WL)
  • UCSD (II, WL)
  • UCI (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • UCD (pre-secondary rejection)
  • UCR (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • USC (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • Emory (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • Northwestern (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • Duke (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • Harvard (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • Stanford (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • Penn (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • Baylor (II, WL)
  • WashU (II, WL)
  • Tufts (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • Georgetown (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • UT Southwestern (II, WL)
  • UT Houston (secondary, pre-II rejection)
  • UT San Antonio (secondary, pre-II rejection)
I know now that several of these schools I had no business applying to (Harvard, Stanford, etc.). Of note, I also do have family ties to Texas, hence TMDSAS too. In retrospect, I can see that my list was definitely top-heavy, and I think this was due to poor advising and outrageous expectations when I was making my list (both my pre-med advisor and I messed up here).

I know this cycle isn't over, but I'm preparing for a worst-case scenario. My plan now is to apply again this coming round with my MCAT expiring soon for the schools that only take it up to 3 years out and not having taken psych or sociology courses. I'm looking to essentially apply to a different list of schools.

Any input y'all have on where I should apply (both MD and DO) this upcoming round and how I might improve (already re-writing my PS and activities) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Man that list seems really top heavy. You needed more safe number reaches. CA has it tough hence why so many oos schools have CA. Any reason you didn't apply to all the Texas schools since you submitted tmdsas

Man that list seems really top heavy. You needed more safe number reaches. CA has it tough hence why so many oos schools have CA
I know! Both my advisor and I didn't know what we were doing last time. I'm looking to build a new list for the 2016-2017 cycle if you have any advice

Members don't see this ad :)
I know! Both my advisor and I didn't know what we were doing last time. I'm looking to build a new list for the 2016-2017 cycle if you have any advice
Any reasons you didn't apply to all the Texas schools since you submitted tmdsas ?

I have family ties to those specific areas
Fair enough . Some schools like Texas A&M have clinicals throughout the state like in Houston and Dallas

Take a look at the msar and see which schools have high oos acceptance .

Fair enough . Some schools like Texas A&M have clinicals throughout the state like in Houston and Dallas

Take a look at the msar and see which schools have high oos acceptance .
Sounds like a good idea; will do. Any more thoughts on list-building?

My best guess is something went wrong at the interview.

Schools like WashU dont give IIs to people with 10th percentile MCAT esque stats for them if there are flaws in the written components of the app.

Sounds like a good idea; will do. Any more thoughts on list-building?
Not on list building but interviewing. How did you feel your skills are for that and how did they seem to go? I've seen many a good student botch the interview

Not on list building but interviewing. How did you feel your skills are for that and how did they seem to go? I've seen many a good student botch the interview
Baylor felt rocky, but that was my first one. UCSD was rough, but not as rocky; their slightly abstract form of MMI threw me off and I know I could've done better there. UTSW and WashU both felt very good. UCLA was excellent to the point where a couple of the stations literally interrupted me to say that I'd nailed it and we spent the rest of the time making small talk.

That said, that's just how I felt, and it's entirely possible that there's just something in my interviews I missed or I did something damaging and didn't even realize it. I plan to ask for feedback once the cycle is formally over.

Baylor felt rocky, but that was my first one. UCSD was rough, but not as rocky; their slightly abstract form of MMI threw me off and I know I could've done better there. UTSW and WashU both felt very good. UCLA was excellent to the point where a couple of the stations literally interrupted me to say that I'd nailed it and we spent the rest of the time making small talk.

That said, that's just how I felt, and it's entirely possible that there's just something in my interviews I missed or I did something damaging and didn't even realize it. I plan to ask for feedback once the cycle is formally over.
Good idea asking feedback. If your local medical school or Pre med advising office if they do interview workshops to give you feedback. Alteratively record yourself giving answers and look for anything off putting or ask someone to view and give feedback

Good idea asking feedback. If your local medical school or Pre med advising office if they do interview workshops to give you feedback. Alteratively record yourself giving answers and look for anything off putting or ask someone to view and give feedback
Good idea; thanks! I know my undergrad institution offers a few, so I'll certainly do that. I'll see if I can get one of my mentors to help me with interview coaching.

@gyngyn @Goro do you have any advice regarding building my list for next cycle and what I might do differently? Thank you!

Edit: I am also a masochist and appreciate both brutality and honesty, so have at it!

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn @Goro do you have any advice regarding building my list for next cycle and what I might do differently? Thank you!

Edit: I am also a masochist and appreciate both brutality and honesty, so have at it!
Have you come up with a new list yet?
Look for places you haven't applied to, OOS acceptance at least 15% and where the median MCAT is around 34.

Have you come up with a new list yet?
Look for places you haven't applied to, OOS acceptance at least 15% and where the median MCAT is around 34.
Working on the list this weekend, I'll post it once I have a working draft! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey @gyngyn here's my working list:
  • UCLA*
  • UC Irvine*
  • UT Southwestern*
  • UT Houston*
  • UT Austin
  • USC*
  • Case Western (both university and CCLCM)
  • George Washington
  • SLU
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Tulane
  • Einstein
  • UVA
  • Cornell
  • Ohio State
  • NYU
  • Loyola/Stritch
  • Pittsburgh
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • Mayo
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Hofstra
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Alpert
  • UNC Chapel Hill
Any thoughts you may have would be much appreciated

Last edited:
Hey @gyngyn here's my working list:
  • UCLA
  • UC Irvine
  • UT Southwestern
  • UT Houston
  • UT Austin
  • USC
  • George Washington
  • SLU
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Tulane
  • Einstein
  • UVA
  • Cornell
  • Ohio State
  • NYU
  • Loyola/Stritch
  • Pittsburgh
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • Mayo
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Hofstra
  • Alpert
  • UNC Chapel Hill
Any thoughts you may have would be much appreciated

Remove Alpert-favors nontrads, Tulane-low yield, and George Washington-low yield. Add wake forest, university of Miami, and Rochester imo.

Remove Alpert-favors nontrads, Tulane-low yield, and George Washington-low yield. Add wake forest, university of Miami, and Rochester imo.
Are both GW and Georgetown low yield? As for the additions, makes sense, thanks!

Are both GW and Georgetown low yield? As for the additions, makes sense, thanks!

Correct! As well as BU, Tufts, Jefferson, Drexel, and Temple. If you're looking for a school with similar stats as Georgetown or GW consider Oakland or UVM. I'd personally drop RF for one of those.

Correct! As well as BU, Tufts, Jefferson, Drexel, and Temple. If you're looking for a school with similar stats as Georgetown or GW consider Oakland or UVM. I'd personally drop RF for one of those.
Good to know! Here's my list as of now:
  • UCLA*
  • UC Irvine*
  • UT Southwestern*
  • UT Houston*
  • UT Austin
  • USC*
  • U Miami
  • SLU
  • UVM
  • Wake Forest
  • Einstein
  • UVA
  • Cornell
  • Ohio State
  • NYU
  • Loyola/Stritch
  • Pittsburgh
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • Mayo
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Hofstra
  • UNC Chapel Hill

Delete RF, Brown, Jeff, Temple and Drexel. Agree with @drwoofs on adding Miami, Wake and Rochester, but I'd keep Tulane.
If you are going to reapply to UTSW, you may as well apply to all the TX schools.
Cornell and UNC are long shots...
Mayo's class is so small, Mayo AZ may be worth it.

Delete RF, Brown, Jeff, Temple and Drexel. Agree with @drwoofs on adding Miami, Wake and Rochester.
If you are going to reapply to UTSW, you may as well apply to all the TX schools.
Cornell and UNC are long shots...
Mayo's class is so small, Mayo AZ may be worth it.
Fair point, I'll check them all off for TMDSAS then. If I was interviewed at WashU this round, do you think it'd be worth casting a couple hooks at some longer shots? I'll add Mayo AZ as well.

Thanks!

Fair point, I'll check them all off for TMDSAS then. If I was interviewed at WashU this round, do you think it'd be worth casting a couple hooks at some longer shots? I'll add Mayo AZ as well.

Thanks!
I've been trying to understand Wash U for a long time. I have no insight on this one.
A few long shots are reasonable, though.

I've been trying to understand Wash U for a long time. I have no insight on this one.
A few long shots are reasonable, though.
Thanks gyngyn!

If you're not a resident of TX, then for the TX schools.

Work in your essays and your interview skills.

Here's my suggested list for you:

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Rosy Franklin

BU

MCW

Hofstra

NYMC

VCU

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

George Washington

Emory

Tulane

Dartmouth

Loyola

Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.

UCD
UCI
UCR (IF you're from the Inland Empire)

Any DO program, starting with Western and Touro-CA

If you're not a resident of TX, then for the TX schools.

Work in your essays and your interview skills.

Here's my suggested list for you:

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Rosy Franklin

BU

MCW

Hofstra

NYMC

VCU

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

George Washington

Emory

Tulane

Dartmouth

Loyola

Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.

UCD
UCI
UCR (IF you're from the Inland Empire)

Any DO program, starting with Western and Touro-CA
Thanks Goro! I'm planning on finding someone to help coach me on interview skills. As for Rush, I don't think I have the service hours for it, most of my community service was either assorted instances or a minor part of leadership positions, and definitely under 800. As for DO schools, is there something similar to MSAR I can look at to start making a list? I don't know where to begin, and I hadn't seriously considered DO until recently.