Probably a dumb question, but if you're the patient, does this count as medical exp./shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
is this application worthy or nah

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mention that unless the experience influenced your decisions in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say no

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I recently got some metal lodged in my eye and obviously had to be treated by emergency physicians. they couldn't get it out so I've been seeing an ophthalmologist who is currently treating me

is this application worthy or nah
I think by the LizzyM heuristic, it would only count if you were really smelly.

Reactions: 4 users
No this does not count as clinical experience nor volunteering nor shadowing.

Reactions: 1 users
so that's the thing - if it helped me feel better about "eye" stuff should I include it?

I think before this I would have considered myself 'queasy' about eyes. however after having constant needle pokes to my eye I've realized it's nothing

IMO it should be more substantial than that. For example, someone who's undergone chemotherapy wanting to do heme onc or someone with CP wanting to do pediatric neurology.

IMO it should be more substantial than that. For example, someone who's undergone chemotherapy wanting to do heme onc or someone with CP wanting to do pediatric neurology.

I agree it is very very small compared to those things and related

I mean I guess you can include as part of your journey to medicine in your PS but it's not going to count as clinical experience or shadowing for application purposes...

I had leukemia when I was little. I've been in remission since I was 5, but what's even better is that I now have thousands of hours shadowing an oncologist that I can list on my med school applications!

^If I can't do the above, then you can't talk about your eye.

Wh- Wh-.. Why would you think this is shadowing/medical experience*?

I've sat in the lounge while a mechanic changed my car's oil. Does this make me more versed in auto repair?

*edit

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wh- Wh-.. Why would you think this is shadowing/volunteering?

I've sat in the lounge while a mechanic changed my car's oil. Does this make me more versed in auto repair?
okay I never said it was volunteering - and the second part is kind of fallacious because you could say the same thing about shadowing..

Wh- Wh-.. Why would you think this is shadowing/volunteering?

I believe you would have to be the car in that scenario. You were playing the role of the family member waiting.

What was your doctor's thought process when analyzing what was going on with you? What part of your history and exam did he/she find most useful? What preparation goes into the procedures you had done? How did he/she balance time between getting ready for your case and seeing other patients? If these questions and many others can't be answered, it's not shadowing. Granted, many shadowing opportunities don't do a good enough job answering them.

I don't think you actually could even think that it was clinical experience. You weren't helping take care of any patients.

I don't think you know what shadowing is.
I know that shadowing alone won't make you a doctor any more than watching a car repair man alone won't make you a good car reapair

I believe you would have to be the car in that scenario. You were playing the role of the family member waiting.
True. What if the mechanic takes me to the garage to show me all of the problems with my car?

I know that shadowing alone won't make you a doctor any more than watching a car repair man alone won't make you a good car reapair
While shadowing doesn't "make you a doctor", it does help in many ways to confirm your interest in medicine.

While shadowing doesn't "make you a doctor", it does help in many ways to confirm your interest in medicine.

yes.... you sound like I suggested otherwise; I did not, or misspoke if I did..

If you have to ask if it's dumb, you know it's dumb.

We've all been to the doctor before. We don't count the hours and use it on applications

well I disagree it's 0 out of 10..... I suppose you would not say shadowing alone is 100% sufficient to become a physician

No. What's 0/10 is your understanding of shadowing, demonstrated by your terrible comparison and ridiculous statements.

Mechanics rarely will allow you to enter their small offices, watch them handle their finances, order their parts, perform complete service, whilst giving you a barebones idea of what they're doing, as well as giving you a rundown of the different types of days they have at the office. Saying "0/10" or giving some other low rating also implies that the question is possible troll bait due to the level of ignorance. You view of shadowing makes it clear that you think a photo of Lil Wayne's house provides the same value as an episode of MTV Cribs on his home. As a patient, you have a 0% chance of getting a decent glimpse of what your doctor's life is like. When asked "why medicine?", nearly anything you say (with no shadowing or clinical volunteering) is either literary acrobatics with no actual justification/evidence or straight out lying. Maybe naive ignorance that shows you aren't serious, as well.

No. What's 0/10 is your understanding of shadowing, demonstrated by your terrible comparison and ridiculous statements.

Mechanics rarely will allow you to enter their small offices, watch them handle their finances, order their parts, perform complete service, whilst giving you a barebones idea of what they're doing, as well as giving you a rundown of the different types of days they have at the office. Saying "0/10" or giving some other low rating also implies that the question is possible troll bait due to the level of ignorance. You view of shadowing makes it clear that you think a photo of Lil Wayne's house provides the same value as an episode of MTV Cribs on his home. As a patient, you have a 0% chance of getting a decent glimpse of what your doctor's life is like. When asked "why medicine?", nearly anything you say (with no shadowing or clinical volunteering) is either literary acrobatics with no actual justification/evidence or straight out lying. Maybe naive ignorance that shows you aren't serious, as well.

well thank you for your answer i didn't mean to get you fired up....

No. What's 4/44 is your understanding of shadowing, demonstrated by your terrible comparison and ridiculous statements.

Mechanics rarely will allow you to enter their small offices, watch them handle their finances, order their parts, perform complete service, whilst giving you a barebones idea of what they're doing, as well as giving you a rundown of the different types of days they have at the office. Saying "4/44" or giving some other low rating also implies that the question is possible troll bait due to the level of ignorance. You view of shadowing makes it clear that you think a photo of Lil Wayne's house provides the same value as an episode of MTV Cribs on his home. As a patient, you have a 4% chance of getting a decent glimpse of what your doctor's life is like. When asked "why medicine?", nearly anything you say (with no shadowing or clinical volunteering) is either literary acrobatics with no actual justification/evidence or straight out lying. Maybe naive ignorance that shows you aren't serious, as well.

FTFY Jhin.

So I'm technically shadowing a mechanic when I get my oil changed?
The doc is letting you see their patient when you're the family member who was finally allowed into the ER.

Watching a mechanic change your car's oil is like watching a doc applying burn ointment.

Wh- Wh-.. Why would you think this is shadowing/medical experience*?

*edit

How about- 'Filling out a questionnaire for a psychology study does not mean that you have research experience'.