probably a dumb question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Acula

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so as the title implies, this is probably a stupid question. I have a friend that wants to be a PA, and she's REALLY into it. So much so that she's already thinks Dr. so-and-so has a nice ring to it. So back to my question, does a PA get the pre-fix "Dr." infront?? or is it John Doe, PA?

Members don't see this ad.

They are not doctors so its Just <insert name> PA. At best they can call themselves clinicans. If they want the name they are going to have to put the time in.

Dr.Acula said:
Alright, so as the title implies, this is probably a stupid question. I have a friend that wants to be a PA, and she's REALLY into it. So much so that she's already thinks Dr. so-and-so has a nice ring to it. So back to my question, does a PA get the pre-fix "Dr." infront?? or is it John Doe, PA?

If she goes through schooling all the way to a doctorate degree, then yes. She just won't get an MD at the end of her name. My physical therapist gets to put a Dr. in front of his name because of his DPT degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, a PA (physcian assistant) is not a doctoral level degree, so I don't believe a PA would be addressed formally as a 'doctor' and would not have 'dr.' affixed to her name.

Well, i hope someone tells her soon..
Thanks for clearing that up guys.
Have a goodnight.

Dr.Acula said:
Well, i hope someone tells her soon..
Thanks for clearing that up guys.
Have a goodnight.

Or you could be mean and let her find out after graduating from PA school. :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

TheFreshPrince said:
Or you could be mean and let her find out after graduating from PA school. :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

well i don't really like her, so maybe not a bad idea!