Probably overthinking this, but sorority question...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMcMommy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hold a couple of leadership positions in a sorority (officer board and other stuff). However, I'm finding it difficult to keep up with their social requirements and I've also just kind of lost the desire to be in the organization in general. I want to apply next cycle and I'd rather be focusing my free time on my family and my volunteer/studying/shadowing/etc. There's a new (non-clinical) volunteer experience I've been wanting to start, but haven't had the time for yet between everything else I'm doing to actually start up with it. I'm using all of my babysitters on the sorority meetings, lol.

Would it look bad if I step down early? Or should I just try and tough it out/juggle everything until the end of the term? Will this even matter on my application anyway? And if I do step down early, would I still be able to put the time that I held the positions on my activity list?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to apply next cycle and I'd rather be focusing my free time on my family and my volunteer/studying/shadowing/etc.
Sounds completely reasonable.

Would it look bad if I step down early? Or should I just try and tough it out/juggle everything until the end of the term?
I seriously doubt anybody would look twice at it. Anyway, you have an excellent reason; I'm sure the medical schools will appreciate the fact that you're spending your time as wisely as possible.

And if I do step down early, would I still be able to put the time that I held the positions on my activity list?
Yes.

Reactions: 2 users
I doubt this, in isolation, would matter. It's a sorority. Very far from real world. Now, if you were the sorority's philanthropy chair or something, you could use that to your advantage. But like I said, in isolation, fraternities and sororities are like country clubs in my opinion - useful for gaining connections but nobody who isn't a part of it really cares.

Reactions: 1 users