problem based curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was browsing the Drexel website before, and noticed that they give the option of taking a problem based curriculum as opposed to the traditional curriculum. Does anyone know what the major differences are between these two different curriculums? Also, do other schools also offer this option, or is it unique to Drexel?

Members don't see this ad.

At UTMB in Galveston, they have a problem-based learning curriculum, and they let us see a session in progress during a tour. Basically, they give small groups of students a history, physical exam and lab/Xray results for a patient with a problem that corresponds to that point in the curriculum. Then the students sit around and discuss what could be a possible diagnosis and plan for the patient. If you like to actively participate, then problem based learning may be better than just lecture (its also a good way to get to know the rest of your class).

bbas said:
I was browsing the Drexel website before, and noticed that they give the option of taking a problem based curriculum as opposed to the traditional curriculum. Does anyone know what the major differences are between these two different curriculums? Also, do other schools also offer this option, or is it unique to Drexel?
This link tells you essentially what problem based learning is about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem-based_learning
The article is about tertiary learning in general; I think it applies really well to medical school. Mmm, relevance. Also, it's wikipedia, so, um, not everything is entirely correct. But the gist is right. As far as medical school, I think problem based learning tends to cultivate better communication between physicians and patients. At my interview at UNM med school they said they've seen their USMLE step 1 scores decline since they implemented this curriculum but their students get better/more desirable residencies.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=225793
This is another article about PBL in medical schools from the NIH. It's old (1993) but it's still germane to this discussion.
I don't know about other schools and the option to take either route, sorry. But that does sound pretty cool.

Great post.

What desiredusername highlights is the give and take of didactic vs. PBL. I don't know if schools do a PBL anatomy course, but I, personally, would have trouble having to rely on others to get me up to speed with what the USMLE requires us to know in anatomy. Ditto Biochemistry. BUT the lectures do allow you to sit in lecture, then go home and study for 8 hours, and become a body-part-memorizing-hermit. That's no good for that professional interaction aspect that schools are looking for.

Quid pro quo. It's up to the applicant to decide what suits him/her best.

dc