Problem Based Learning Curriculum - Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enigmalti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is entirely PBL so, you're pretty much on your own, studying as much as you can. How do you know when it is enough and when you cover the materials adequately?

For those ppl who thrive in curriculum, what did you do that work for you?

My plan:
Read relevant section/chapter from the textbook, take note, do some review questions (any advice on resources for this? PreTest?)

When I asked 2nd year, most of them study by reading and reread and reread. Some read 3x, some 5x before the exam, because they don't have time to take notes while reading. How do you guys study and do well on the exams?

Also, will I have enough time to do all this?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Read chapter 2x. Don't take notes. Get first aid ASAP and add important info in as necessary. If a particular topic is really hard use kaplan video for that section (i'm sure someone at your school has them on their HD). Try to minimize that last point though since it can be time consuming. You'll need to adjust to your style but I found that to work for me.

Read chapter 2x. Don't take notes. Get first aid ASAP and add important info in as necessary. If a particular topic is really hard use kaplan video for that section (i'm sure someone at your school has them on their HD). Try to minimize that last point though since it can be time consuming. You'll need to adjust to your style but I found that to work for me.

Ok - I will try that out. How do you use your primary textbooks with FA? You would read the textbook first then go back then read the relevant chapter on FA? Do you add/annotate on FA or in your textbooks?

Members don't see this ad :)
My school is entirely PBL so, you're pretty much on your own, studying as much as you can. How do you know when it is enough and when you cover the materials adequately?

My plan:
Read relevant section/chapter from the textbook, take note, do some review questions (any advice on resources for this? PreTest?)

When I asked 2nd year, most of them study by reading and reread and reread. Some read 3x, some 5x before the exam, because they don't have time to take notes while reading. How do you guys study and do well on the exams?

Thanks.

What is the average day like for a student at lecom-b? How many hours a week are you guys in class after anatomy ends? I am mostly an independent learner and lecomb is one of my top choices. How cheap is housing in the area?

My plan:

Thanks.

I went with the read x 3 method. First time through was very fast, just getting a broad overview and ensuring I didn't fall behind. Once we were done with cases and had time to study exclusively for the exam I would do the other two readings. Second reading was highlighting/annotating things that I felt I needed to emphasize on my third read and third read was focused on things that still needed work.

Excessively cheezy example: Pulm phys. First read was the equivalent of "Ok, I get it, blood goes to the lungs, gets O2 and goes back to the heart...." Second read "ohh...so pulm vessels constrict when they don't receive enough O2?" I'll highlight that to make sure I remember. Third read "this is really boring, I already know this. Oh yeah, those vessels constrict, gotta remember that."

2nd, 3rd reads are always faster than the first. Try to leave three days or so to do questions before the exam. If you're a first year, then guyton (phys) review is good. If you're a second year, get the robbins (path) question book. You should be able to get these resources "electronically" from someone at school. Don't touch pretest; it's completely different material. Seriously, don't touch it.

I didn't think notes were helpful at all...that's what a highlighter is for. If anything, write notes in the margin of your book. I used to write down a simplified version of the paragraph in the margin as a learning exercise, but not really to add anything. The exception might be drawing out biochem pathways. That was kinda time consuming for me but some people swore by it.

Pharm is kinda the outlier. I don't think it's very amenable to PBL but nonetheless you have to learn it. I used quizlet for online flashcards and did well.

Most importantly, be willing to change how you study and don't be afraid to study differently than everyone else. Everyone learns differently so everyone should study differently. My method above might be awful for you. But it worked for me.

Yes you'll have enough time to do all this, eat, watch some tv, go to the gym and have 75% of your weekend to yourself. You'll be surprised at how fast you learn to read.

I personally couldn't stand to read and re-read the chapters. I would only re-read chapters if I was really missing something.

I read the chapter once. Watched kaplan videos. Did review questions either from BRS or ones that came with companion book; or Micro made simple or some book of similar comparison. Generally if it was a difficult subject I would talk it out with a group of friends as well.... And if it was a chapter I did early on I might also redo the questions closer to the test or read the pocket version.

I saw a couple of people who read the chapters just once and wrote out their own questions and answers from the chapters and studied from that. They also had success.

There really isn't a wrong way as long as it works for you.

Ok - I will try that out. How do you use your primary textbooks with FA? You would read the textbook first then go back then read the relevant chapter on FA? Do you add/annotate on FA or in your textbooks?

usually flip through first aid then read the chapter so i know the essential stuff to focus on. very important stuff i would add to first aid. it is much nicer having all your notes in one place when studying for step 1 and first aid is a great place to have them since most of what you need to know is already condensed in there.

What is the average day like for a student at lecom-b? How many hours a week are you guys in class after anatomy ends? I am mostly an independent learner and lecomb is one of my top choices. How cheap is housing in the area?

pbl is 2 hours 3x per week. you also have omm once a week for 2 hours, omm lecture once a week for 2 hours, and clinical exam lecture for 1-2 hours once a week. plenty of free time thats for sure but part of the challenge is not using it for things other than studying.

housing is cheap. 500-900 / mo average range

pbl is 2 hours 3x per week. you also have omm once a week for 2 hours, omm lecture once a week for 2 hours, and clinical exam lecture for 1-2 hours once a week. plenty of free time thats for sure but part of the challenge is not using it for things other than studying.

housing is cheap. 500-900 / mo average range

Sounds like a great schedule, more free time than I had in undergrad. I do understand that I will probably be studying 7-8 hrs a day, but I could still have time to stay in shape and maintain a social life. 3rd year would be rough though, to go from having all that freedom to having to be somewhere all day, everyday, sometimes even all night I assume.

Sounds like a great schedule, more free time than I had in undergrad. I do understand that I will probably be studying 7-8 hrs a day, but I could still have time to stay in shape and maintain a social life. 3rd year would be rough though, to go from having all that freedom to having to be somewhere all day, everyday, sometimes even all night I assume.

3rd year is easier.

you know you've studied enough when you are able to meet your goals on tests, ie A's or B's. I would use review books sparingly 1st year. Your tests will be based entirely on what is found in the assigned chapters of the textbooks. 2nd year i'd use review books more, like golgan and FA to highlight the most important facts, which are not always obvious after reading the textbook chapters.