Problem-based learning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

Should apply to schools with PBL curriculum at all, 'cause i'm not sure if PBL is for me?
PBL requires a lot of self-directed learning (thus i imagine that sometimes i wouldn't know what to study, where to find the material to study, and whether what i study is even correct), and i'm afraid that i won't end up with a good knowledge base compared to those in lecture-based curriculum... :oops:

this is the list of PBL schools (is there any other?):
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-other-shools-md-and-do-offer-pbl.588330/#post-7514431

Members don't see this ad.

The list is way too old. I believe most schools have some PBL now.

90% lectures + 10% PBL is fine.

but mainly-PBL, i'm afraid, is not for me :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk what PBL is. Is that what they are calling it when the schools rob you of 50k per year tuition and dont pay a professor to teach, instead giving you a piece of paper with things to teach yourself?

Most schools will likely include some component of PBL-like component in their curricula. This is due to a push by the LCME to foster group-based learning. However, the extent to which it is used varies widely. My institution is heavily with traditional with some courses having a once-weekly small group session. That's pretty much the extent of PBL work. Other schools, though, use PBL almost exclusively with little "traditional" lectures. This is something you'll get a sense of when you get out on the interview trail, though I imagine with some research you could also get a sense of where most schools lie on that spectrum.