problem based learning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nezlab99

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like all schools have jumped on the pbl bandwagon, or atleast claim to have. Which schools actually do have a good pbl program?

Members don't see this ad.

well, case has an intergrated curriculum....which is part pbl. i think thats cool.

Actually, the scoop that I have heard is that some schools may be reconsidering the PBL "bandwagon" -- more long-term results are starting to come back from schools that primarily use PBL, and they aren't that encouraging, performance-wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems kind of early to be saying that results aren't encouraging. How long have PBLs been in place and how long they been tracked i.e. how are they evaluating whether they're good or not? I'm curious to know, b/c I'm really into the idea of it. Thanks

Hasnt Harvard been doing it since like 1980? Someone correct me if im wrong.

A lot of med students seem to think it's a waste of time. I have to admit that the phrase "self-directed learning" does seem a bit rich.

Let's start a list of the schools that we speculate are full-blown (or near) PBL:

harvard. I'll add
-Pitt
-Cornell
-Northwestern

Little spiel on why PBL probably works for me: Through undergrad and my general state of mind, I realized I am quite the group learner and problem-solver (i'm a math major for pete's sake!) so I applied to a lot of PBL schools where I'd be comfortable and have a realistic shot (no state schools accepting 3% out-of-state)

Originally posted by Dr Resident Alien 06:
•Hasnt Harvard been doing it since like 1980? Someone correct me if im wrong.•••

Harvard was the first to start it out. I believe Hawaii is the only pure pbl program in the U.S. I found out that the students in Hawaii's pbl program, come to the program very prepared with anatomy, immunology, histology backgrounds etc. They are also doing well on the usmle exams too.

from hearing schools try to sell pbl, I really think that it is fine to have it as a supplement to the curriculum and tie things together, but that it would take an enormous amount of work to get the same amount of material as compared to a more traditional/primarily lecture format. I have also noticed that schools with more pbl format (I'll be specific, I'm really talking about my experience which is case and pitt) do not match nearly as well as comparably "ranked" schools/schools in the same perceived "tier" that have a more traditional format (pritzker and vanderbilt). This could be lack of board preparation or maybe a lack of confidence in the pbl system, but it could also be me reading too much into matchlists. :p

Originally posted by coop:
•from hearing schools try to sell pbl, I really think that it is fine to have it as a supplement to the curriculum and tie things together, but that it would take an enormous amount of work to get the same amount of material as compared to a more traditional/primarily lecture format. I have also noticed that schools with more pbl format (I'll be specific, I'm really talking about my experience which is case and pitt) do not match nearly as well as comparably "ranked" schools/schools in the same perceived "tier" that have a more traditional format (pritzker and vanderbilt). This could be lack of board preparation or maybe a lack of confidence in the pbl system, but it could also be me reading too much into matchlists. :p •••

Have you taken a look at Harvard's match lists? Additionally, I know that Cornell tends to have excellent matches as well. I think PBL has been successful where tried (Step 1 scores have not decreased significantly) and it is definitely an increasing trend in medical education. PBL offers several advantages, including development of critical thinking, analytical skills, and clinical reasoning, each of which can help prepare students for the clinical years. In addition, it makes learning more fun, puts the information into a clinical context, and can assist in retention. Whether PBL is for a particular individual is for him/her to decide. It all depends on how one learns best. Personally, I prefer some combination of lecture, labs, small groups, and PBL. That was one of the reasons I chose UCSF with the new curriculum.

For what it's worth, all the Australian medical schools are PBL, and they hold up very well. For instance, Flinders Univ. has been quite praised by Harvard (i.e. Flinders is the Australian equivalent of Harvard) and the American students going there do very well on the boards. All PBL. And I think some of the British schools are integrating aspects of PBL as well. That's it in a nutshell from a non-US viewpoint, so PBL definitely does have merits. I guess it depends what kind of person you are and how well you learn. I'm looking for PBL as well...I like problem-solving, although I'm not exceptionally good at it, I'd like to become more familiar with thinking that way. Plus, they skip a lot of crap and allow you to learn more appliable stuff, rather than learning every single useless detail.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents and be argumentative...
but I think New Mexico actually started PBL before Harvard and (although I have no idea how Vandy and Pritz match) Pitt matches pretty darn well.

I echo Vader's comments - PBL as an additional teaching/learning method is very helpful. It would probably be difficult for me if it were the only mode of learning, but as an adjunct and reinforcer of what we're studying, it's great.