Problem: College Classes in High School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EarnestlyWilde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found a lot of threads on general college in HS topics, but not this specifically (though if there are threads that I missed I will gladly accept direction to them = )

So from reading around on SDN I've come to understand that if you retake a class (usually because you got an F or D the first time) you are expected to get an A the second time and it looks bad if you don't...Well I took some science classes at a college (free!) in my senior year of high school (included in ~90 total credits over four years) and got B's as it was senior year and the general high school of thought said that senior year grades don't matter and you can pretty much chill. I got into my dream undergrad school so I just made sure I wasn't getting Cs and barely stayed awake/did anything = learned little. Starting undergrad, none of the credits transferred (top tier undergrad rigor doesn't match up w/ low level state school) so I was advised to retake those science classes as most people do with the conventional AP track (I did not take as many APs as I would have if I did normal HS).
Problem: med schools don't see HS APs, but they do see (as SDN has taught me) ALL college transcripts. I didn't get As in the science classes I took this year, so am I going to look utterly clueless? (I can explain why this happened but I've written a lot already & it's prob not relevant)
I will also gracefully accept, if it is correct, that my worries are unfounded :oops: but I am genuinely concerned. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you get questioned about it in interviews, simply explain that your college required you to retake them.

I'm sure this isn't a common thing to happen, but it is also probably not the first time that something like this has popped up. Just by looking at transcripts, it can easily be verified that you took these classes the first time while you were still in high school, then again in college. Just explain that you were required to retake them and you should be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!!
I'm glad this isn't a big red flag *phew*

I'm sure this isn't a common thing to happen, but it is also probably not the first time that something like this has popped up. Just by looking at transcripts, it can easily be verified that you took these classes the first time while you were still in high school, then again in college. Just explain that you were required to retake them and you should be ok.

So on the application there is a way to label a period of time as High School? (This is for my curiosity.) Would the ~90 credits + Freshman credits at my current uni all be freshman year? This is so awkward o_O

Thank you!!
I'm glad this isn't a big red flag *phew*

So on the application there is a way to label a period of time as High School? (This is for my curiosity.) Would the ~90 credits + Freshman credits at my current uni all be freshman year? This is so awkward o_O

If I remember correctly, you designate each semester of course grades with an academic standing on AMCAS (from high school, college, postbac, and grad). I think it's AACOMAS that doesn't have a high school designation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The only problem that would be brought up in this type of situation is "Why did you retake those classes?" as not properly answering this question could raise red flags.

You obviously have a reasonable answer: your college had you to retake these classes, so you had no choice.

Yeah, if I recall correctly (and I only skimmed this in the AMCAS book) you will list the college classes and grades when you were in high school and categorize them as HS.

If anyone asks, you'll be able to explain it.

There are quite a few people who took college courses in high school, and a few of us who didn't realize we'd need to take them as seriously as we probably should have
:whistle:

Last edited:
I"m confused, why even mention the highschool classes anywhere? I took a bunch of college level highschool classes as early as my sophmore year of highschool and I wouldn't mention those, adcoms don't care.

I"m confused, why even mention the highschool classes anywhere? I took a bunch of college level highschool classes as early as my sophmore year of highschool and I wouldn't mention those, adcoms don't care.

My understanding is that these courses were actual college classes that he took as a dual-enrolled high school student, not college level high school classes for which no college credit was received (AP or otherwise).

Yes, pretty sure the OP is talking about courses taken at the college. There are quite a few programs that allow students to take college courses, at the college, for college credit while still in high school. In my hometown it was called the "dual credit program." I took 29 college credits of things like physics and calc during my last year of high school and shaved off a year of college.

You would need to claim those and provide transcripts/ credit/grade information on AMCAS for those courses.

Because 'college-level' classes are different from actual college classes, and you are required to submit a transcript from every college you've been to, even if you were still in high school when you attended one.

Any the classes taken in high school annoyingly are in your GPA calculation

You must report every class you have ever taken for college credit on AMCAS.

The OP is in a unique position but probably not unprecedented. I'll agree with the other posters that this is basically a non-issue. You have a reasonable answer for why you retook the classes if asked. If you're feeling extremely worried about it, you might think about including a sentence on your personal statement or somewhere in your secondary applications. Overall, you should be fine - good luck!

I am in the same situation and while it's unfortunate that the college level class grades MUST be reported regardless of whether they were taken during hs/were for EC/summer programs etc, just understand that that your undergrad transcript is what really counts. I'm sure a couple of Bs or Cs in classes taken during HIGH SCHOOL won't make or break your application. :)

Correct. I took 37 credits my senior year of hs which all transferred to my ug school. I was told that the grades would never affect me and the gpas wouldn't transfer into my ug gpa. Buuuuttttt come medical school application process, it KILLED my gpa bc I just did what I had to to pass bc it was sr year and I didn't give a ****. Bad move on my part.